Are hrm and cadence worth measuring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a 705 just before the 800 came out :rolleyes: I ride for enjoyment & don't get beat up about PBs & ave speeds. When I bought mine I was feeling a little flush as I had a little back pay from work, so I opted to get the HRM & cadence sensor. To me they are nice to have, but not essential, infact I don't often wear the HRM now, but the cadence sensor is fitted to one bike, so when I ride that one I get the figures, but don't miss it when riding other bikes.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've stopped using my HRM. It's pointless unless you have tested your MaxHR, I just have the cadence sensor left on.

You can use HR in various ways, generally you will need to do some sort of benchmark test, but not necessarily a max HR test.

Isn't max hr 220 - age?

Nope.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
You can ride up to your max HR to find your max. If you enjoy pain as me and a lot of others do.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I use a Blackburn Delphi and dumped the cadence side after one ride. Whilst I haven't done a lab/gym MHR test, I'm pretty sure that, with the sprint runs I do up the minor hills of Suffolk, what that figure probably is and have adjusted my zones accordingly. May be tempted to upgrade the Blackburn to something more visual as it's got to the stage where I really need to change specs to view the thing while I'm riding. :whistle:

shortone

I use the HR and cadence all the time. I like to monitor how Im riding in comparrasion to say 12 months ago on the same route.
Having a heart issue means the HR data is important to me, and to see how my fitness is improving.
Cadence is a very useful tool when it comes to indoor training, but Im a gadget man and love my stats and tech.
For the most part during most rides I dont look at the garmin until I get home.

uclown2002

Guru

The 200 and the 800 Touring can't connect to ANT+ sensors.

For the virtual trainer I'm asking for!?

I was referring to the virtual trainer as requested.

However as this has been raised, The Edge 800 is ANT+ compatible.....

The This is ANT website lists the Edge 800 as ANT+ compatible and lists ANT+ devices that work with it

Make the most of every ride with Edge® 800 — the first touchscreen GPS bike computer. Providing navigation and performance monitoring, Edge 800 is ideal for touring, commuting, competitive cycling and mountain biking. It has a built-in basemap and tracks your distance, speed, location and ascent/descent. Use it with an ANT+™ heart rate monitor¹, speed/cadence sensor¹ or compatible power meter² for a finely tuned analysis of your ride. You can also monitor weight data and track on Garmin Connect.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I was referring to the virtual trainer as requested.

However as this has been raised, The Edge 800 is ANT+ compatible.....
Apologies, I misread the original post.

The 800 can connect to ANT+, but the Touring version can't. (It's referred to as the Edge Touring in the Garmin chart posted)

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I have been using HRM for years - first in running and now in cycling. For me, it not only shows how hard Im trying at the time, but also is a good measure of your general fitness level (resting hrm before exercise) and ability to recover following a climb, for example. I always measure against my history, not anything else. Max HRM Ive just guessed at, I see why its useful to have it, but I know roughly what it is just by looking at my data over time. You can use one of the sufferfest Rubber Glove tests to measure it.

On the cadence front, I never used to bother with this other than on the rollers, but in the last 6 months or so, Ive read, (and tried) that its generally easier on your body (knees and legs etc) and gives you better overall performance (especially uphills) to keep your cadence highish and stay on top of the gears all the time. To force myself to do this, I measure average cadence over a ride, and keep an eye on it when Im pootling along, to try and hit the figure I have in mind (usually around 90). Felt weird at first because Ive always had low cadence and just relied on muscles more, but now the shift means Im balancing muscles and aerobic strength (heart!) - seems to improve my fitness as well as get me wherever a bit quicker.

I agree if youre not trying to improve fitness or performance, you probably dont need to put on your hrm/cadence, but maybe it'll give you a warning when somethings wrong as well. (like cycling if youve got flu coming on)?

Andy clarke

Nice write up thanks
I have been using HRM for years - first in running and now in cycling. For me, it not only shows how hard Im trying at the time, but also is a good measure of your general fitness level (resting hrm before exercise) and ability to recover following a climb, for example. I always measure against my history, not anything else. Max HRM Ive just guessed at, I see why its useful to have it, but I know roughly what it is just by looking at my data over time. You can use one of the sufferfest Rubber Glove tests to measure it.

On the cadence front, I never used to bother with this other than on the rollers, but in the last 6 months or so, Ive read, (and tried) that its generally easier on your body (knees and legs etc) and gives you better overall performance (especially uphills) to keep your cadence highish and stay on top of the gears all the time. To force myself to do this, I measure average cadence over a ride, and keep an eye on it when Im pootling along, to try and hit the figure I have in mind (usually around 90). Felt weird at first because Ive always had low cadence and just relied on muscles more, but now the shift means Im balancing muscles and aerobic strength (heart!) - seems to improve my fitness as well as get me wherever a bit quicker.

I agree if youre not trying to improve fitness or performance, you probably dont need to put on your hrm/cadence, but maybe it'll give you a warning when somethings wrong as well. (like cycling if youve got flu coming on)?

Tyke

As well as cadence the sensor also picks up rear wheel movement so if you use rollers or a turbo trainer you can set up another bike profile for that and measure the mileage done indoors as well as on the road.

OP
OP
K

Kies

Thanks to all that have replied .... My thoughts having read your views is that it's worth keeping the sensors and trying them out. The ones who mentioned there use when on a turbo trainer especially hit a note, as i lost a lot of fitness and gained weight during our wet winter. The sensors will give me something to focus on later in the year when the turbo is back out :-)

Top Bottom