Are hrm and cadence worth measuring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
HRM zone training here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/
I have yet to try it myself, does it really work?

Very difficult for me to do that hill test for five minutes plus, there aren't any hills in Norfolk long enough! :sad:

But that other formula for working out maximum heart rate seems interesting. Gives me a figure of 180 which is exactly what I base my training zones on! :laugh:

And as for cadence, surely only relevant if we know what gear/s you're pushing.

david k

Hi
I am in two minds after buying the Garmin 800 with city maps and performance bundle. Never used any ant+ measuring devices before as i don't race. Cycling to me has always been about getting fit,enjoying rides,meeting people and keeping the weight down. Whilst i am loving the 800 and the mapping functionality, i am not so sure about sensors. These two devices(sensors) are sitting brand new in the box and one half of me says sell them to offset the cost of the 800, the other half says you should try hrm & cadence to "improve" your riding?
Any thoughts from those that do and do not use sensors. Did it improve your cycling? Did you try them and love the extra data? Did you try them and put them back in the box after a few weeks?
I guess the question is more, do i want it or do i need it?
You probably dont need it but if your like me i like data and enjoy looking back over my rides, more gadgets more data, so a nice to have not a need to have

afl2

Über Member
I also have a garmin 800.
Use the hr and cadence.
Useful with the data on connect and strava.
Still not set zones or used virtual rider.
Like many, easier examples how to use it would help.

Top Bottom