Are mudguards "components" or "accessories"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

1. Components, because they are fixated onto the bike; or
2. Accessories, because they are unnecessarily added to bikes; or
3. Other, because they need further debate prior to confirmation?

Stu

MikeW-71

Veteran
According to Wiggle, they are components.... I see them as Accessories (an optional extra) which explains why it took a bit of searching to find them there :biggrin:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd say accessories as they aren't needed to make a bike work. A bike's components would be such things as the handlebars,the peddles,the chain and the gears as the bike would be useless without them.

U

User33236

Mudguards with a stripe on are fastest, its a universally known fact that if you want something to go faster , paint a stripe on it.
That's where I've been going wrong! Should the stripe match or contrast the bike for best effect?

To answer OP I see my Topeak Defender mudguard most defiantly as an accessory as I forgot to refit in after washing my bike on Sunday and, miraculously, it was still rideable for my commute yesterday.

asterix

Comrade Member
They are vital when descending mountains in heavy rain.. ..having been in a group who sneered at my 'guards before having to descend the Tourmalet in first a showstorm then torrential rain. How I laughed as I passed them walking down hoping to be picked up by the minibus. I still have mild pangs of guilt in case I took all the hotel's hot water before they got there.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
According to Wiggle, they are components.... I see them as Accessories (an optional extra) which explains why it took a bit of searching to find them there :biggrin:
That's odd, Evans says they're Accessories.
Only one way to find out................FIGHT!!!!!!!
mudguards.JPG

James Ots

[QUOTE 2883636, member: 45"]Mudguards are a waste of time. They're only designed to deflect water up to 15kmph.[/quote]

I accidentally rode through a deeper puddle than I expected the other day (about 8 inches) with mudguards on, and I got soaked event though I was only going at about 5 km/h. I'm not sure how I managed to go so slowly though, as my mudguards have a reflective stripe on them.

MarkF

Guru
I won't even use them on long tours, I am sure they are very useful but they are aesthetically displeasing and so I'd rather be cold and wet.

Top Bottom