Are my forks cracked boardman comp.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bleubolt

Hello, I have a 2013 boardman comp, I noticed today looks like a Hairline crack at the front of my forks. (I dunt really indirect my bike so it could been there for years) If I run my fingernail over it I can feel the line. Would the alloy fracture Or would it just be the paint cracked ? Just on 1 side.

I did hit a curb and have to bang down afew curbs on my route.

Could I just take it to a garage to apply some spot welds ?

Safe to contine to use ?

Attachments

• 16203229846041933560771372513629.jpg
    16203229846041933560771372513629.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 23
  • 1620323069308891074765564058672.jpg
    1620323069308891074765564058672.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 22

creakyknees

My opinion is that failure of the front fork could be very uncomfortable at speed and therefore although it might be OK for some time I would not ride it as it is. Aluminum is difficult to weld so taking it to your local garage is very unlikely to be a solution, as they will almost certainly only have experience and equipment for welding steel. Aluminum frames often have carbon forks and there are some companies that will repair carbon but for a 2013 Boardman it probably would not be cost effective. I would suggest sourcing a new fork or failing that a new frame. It is eight years old after all.

D

Deleted member 1258

I wouldn't ride that, you need a new fork.

Reactions: C R
The only way to see if it is paint or alloy fracture is unfortunately to sand the paint back to the alloy and see if there is a crack or get it scanned with the right equipment.

To me that line would be roughly where the weld is so I would say it’s cracked rather than paint damage but no one can be sure.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure if that’s aluminium or steel. Whatever I wouldn’t take the chance on continuing use. Good opportunity to upgrade to a carbon fork if you want.

battered

Guru
Bike MoT failure there. Are the forks ally? It's hard to see with the welds being polished. A garage cant repair it, either way. Renew them.

OP
OP
B

bleubolt

Thank you for the quick replies. I do ride some roads a but quick and no helmet. So I will try to look for a replacement forks.

(I week try the hammer tap) I did take the when it to see if I could snap it with my hard, but nothing seemed to move or flex. I know they not carbon.

battered

Guru
In the classifieds I have a Raleigh frame and (steel) forks for a tenner. An aerosol respray, an hour's fitting, you are back on the road for the price of a curry.

OP
OP
B

bleubolt

Thanks, having trouble finding the 25.4mm fitting with the disk brake, looks like it's a non standard size now. Sent email to boardman

Top Bottom