are my legs ok & am i pedaling ok

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

peanut said:
did you see my post to this over on CW ?
here is a useful link to bike fitting
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I love that site, particularly the way he states that he believes fitting is "really quite simple" but then delivers a 10,000 word essay on the subject.

He is right though...

"Somewhere between the fit of the track racer's bike and the long distance tourer's bike is where most of us want to be. But each of us has to find that point for ourselves. Remember, there is only one expert when it comes to fitting your bike. Only you know how you feel on your bike. Only you know what compromises you are willing to make while riding. You're the expert!"

jayce

feet need to be flat on down stroke

jimboalee

garrilla said:
I love that site, particularly the way he states that he believes fitting is "really quite simple" but then delivers a 10,000 word essay on the subject.

He is right though...

"Somewhere between the fit of the track racer's bike and the long distance tourer's bike is where most of us want to be. But each of us has to find that point for ourselves. Remember, there is only one expert when it comes to fitting your bike. Only you know how you feel on your bike. Only you know what compromises you are willing to make while riding. You're the expert!"

Thanks Peter, "I'm an expert!!!" :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go with the comments here, and I think yor are a little too far forward on the seat - with pedal parallel to floor, drop a plumb line from knee cap to pedal (string with a weight on the end). This line should pass close to the pedal axel - how close is rider preference.

Saddle - height, try the straight leg, heal on axel of pedal with crank at lowest position - this gives you a good starting point.

Mortiroloboy

I can see it now, dunno why couldn't yesterday?:eek:

I think you need to raise the saddle a wee bit. Perhaps if you locate the camera square on to you on the bike rather than angled down, we may get a better side on view.

Randochap

Senior hunter
jimboalee said:
Sorry RandoChap, I don't understand this.

Maybe a 2cm smaller frame will have a seat angle 1/2 degree steeper, but this can be taken out with a set-back seatpost and/or shifting the seat back.

The stem can be brought up higher with a slightly longer reach.

His handlebars look too high anyway, so that might not be a problem.

The frame size looks OK to me.
Just take the seat up and lower the stem to get your lower back to 45'.

He doesn't need to be fitted to the bike; he needs the bike to be fitted to him. Therefore, it's not possible to say "his handlebars look too high." Too high for you might be too low for him. And, going on body type, my guess would be they are too low. But I can't dictate that without his input.

If a frame is too small, it forces the saddle to be raised too high in relation to the bars, limiting choice. This is often exacerbated w/ threadless steerers/stems that can't be easily raised to compensate.

These concepts are fully explored on my fitting page. And Peter White is spot on that ""Somewhere between the fit of the track racer's bike and the long distance tourer's bike is where most of us want to be. But each of us has to find that point for ourselves. "

peanut

Randochap said:
He doesn't need to be fitted to the bike; he needs the bike to be fitted to him. Therefore, it's not possible to say "his handlebars look too high." Too high for you might be too low for him. And, going on body type, my guess would be they are too low. But I can't dictate that without his input.

If a frame is too small, it forces the saddle to be raised too high in relation to the bars, limiting choice. This is often exacerbated w/ threadless steerers/stems that can't be easily raised to compensate.

These concepts are fully explored on my fitting page. And Peter White is spot on that ""Somewhere between the fit of the track racer's bike and the long distance tourer's bike is where most of us want to be. But each of us has to find that point for ourselves. "

I fear that your wisdom may fall upon deaf ears :smile: People like to have rules and proceedures . Rules are comforting .....you don't have to think for yourself :becool:

peanut

its not easy to see but it looks like a 100mm stem at least and the saddle is pushed back as far as it will go and the rider is still in a very upright position almost like a commuter position.
The rider looks to be almost over the bars .

I should have thought the rider would have a much more relaxed and comfortable ride with a frame at least 1" larger possibly 2" or more .

Difficult to gauge the frame size on a compact frame by eye.
Alternatively a longer stem and setback seatpost might bring a little improvement

jimboalee

Run the video. Pause it after 1 second before the guy gets his bum on the seat. Now reverse the video to 0:00 to where the guy has his heel on the floor. Estimate the position of his crotch. Remember the bike is on the turbo and 1 1/2" higher than it should be.

Note 1/ The seat could slip under his crotch when his heel is on the ground.

Look on the Spesh website. Find the Allez Elite Double. Go to 'Geometry'.

Note 2/ Specialized dimension 'Standover height' for the 54cm frame is 777mm, that's 30.5" and the guy says he has a 29" inside leg. For a 5'8" chap, I expect his inside leg to be more like 32". (Confirmation please).

The bike still looks the right size.

One other thing to remember,,, It's a RACE BIKE !!

As for handlebar height and reach, we'll see where they are when the guy has raised the saddle and taken another video.

peanut

jimboalee said:

One other thing to remember,,, It's a RACE BIKE !!

yes but the guy isn't using it to do any racing is he ???

If he were it would be a very poor racing position because the frame is too small to allow him to tuck . He is sat bolt upright in case you didn't notice.:tongue::sad:

jimboalee

This is really weird.

For the past seventy odd years, bike manufacturers and framebuilders have been developing the bike to get the rider into the most efficient position to pedal economically.
Specialized have spent thousands designing a bike frame so the rider can ride comfortably, while at the same time, ride efficiently.
What you are saying is the guy who bought the Spesh is saying "I'll opt to ride inefficiently and waste my effort".

As for the 'tuck position'. When in the 'tuck' the Thoracic vertebrae should be near horizontal, and the rider struggling to keep his head up. Hands on the drops, his forearms should also be very close to horizontal and his upper arms steeper than 45 degrees. His knees almost touch his elbows. How is he going to get this position if the stem is less than three inches lower than the saddle surface? – taking a 5'8" individual as an average. If he can't get this position, he is increasing his frontal Xsection area and effectively having to pedal harder for the same speed.

If it is true what you say that he's not going to race ( Are you sure 'cus anyone can enter a Cat 4 on a BCF daycard ), why has he bought a race bike?

If all he wants to do is lose some fat, he should have bought a heavy old cast iron sit-up-and-beg.

Forgive me if I have missed something, but those bikes are not cheap to simply pose around on a Sunday afternoon. If he's going to ride with a club, he'll want it set up to be efficient.

OP
OP
T

tempessuk

I,ve taken my bike for a ride (20 miles) & it feels fine + i knock 8 mins off my best
Many thanks for the advice :tongue:

jimboalee

Try this Peanut.

Pile up a stack of books so the height of the stack is your BB to Saddle height MINUS the length of the crank arm.
Sit on the pile of books with your feet flat on the floor. Put the palms of your hands together into the 'preying position' and put your nose in the little hollow between your thumbs.
Move your head and arms together so the hairs behind your elbows feel your knees. Now lower your forearms to the horizontal and lift your head to look directly forward.

This is the 'Tuck' position.

More mysterious witchcraft.

If your belly gets in the way, you're in serious trouble.

Top Bottom