Are new bike prices fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRoller

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new cyclocross bike and having scoured the web and selected a bike, I find the exact same price is displayed by every retail stockist. It appears that retailers are adopting the MSRP or manufacturer's recommended price without exception. How can this be? I certainly cannot go near recommending retail pricing in the industry I work in as the practice is illegal. Can anyone shed any light on this?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What are you after, have never paid full retail for anything apart from sainsburys shopping, they won't haggle, but for anything else you got to haggle.

Jonathing

Über Member
I always thought that this was because the margins are so low that no one can afford to cut the price on anything other than old stock that's been hanging around for a while.

gbb

Legendary Member
That was an interesting..and enlightening discussion.
My two penneth...a new bike is a special thing, you endlessly mull over specs, sizing, style etc etc etc, you (may) want backup from the supplier, you (may) want to build a relationship with him, this is more than a can of beans, more than a stereo system that just sits in the corner, its a hobby, its special, a way of life even.
Now, do you want to cheapen it all, threaten the existence of the shops that struggle (apparently..i have no personal knowledge) to survive in these tough times...just so you can save a few quid.
If free market forces prevailed, most suppliers would go to the wall...i personally wouldnt want that and am happy to pay the price.

There's one misconception about online retailers mind, one that needs telling so it helps proper LBSs....online retailers are generally not cheaper with new release bikes...you'll get the same bike at the same price from your LBS...AND you'll maybe get some discounted accessories..AND someone who'll service it, and give you advice and backup.

Top Bottom