Are old helmets still safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any advice?

My Specialized is 16 years old, £100 odd quid at the time, but sun, sweat, mud, rain and general 'chod' have taken their toll so how safe are old helmets and is there a suggested replacement date?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've seen various figures quoted, ranging from 3 years to 8 in a single article (Linky)
I'd personally replace a 16 year old helmet - I'm sure they've got lighter, ventier (if that's even a word) and generally better since then.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I've seen various figures quoted, ranging from 3 years to 8 in a single article (Linky)
I'd personally replace a 16 year old helmet - I'm sure they've got lighter, ventier (if that's even a word) and generally better since then.
yes as I expected, and I like the word 'ventier' enormously...crickey hope they haven't gone up much?, maybe Santa will....., no not going there, far too juvenile.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would imagine old helmets are as safe as new helmets.

But I am sure someone will now come and tell us all about the UV properties of plastics.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well...if the outer shell starts cracking from UV exposure you'll see that.
The inside won't see UV, and sweat won't weaken it. Might make it a bit whiffy, mind!
I'm not sure anyone knows for sure, but I'd probably replace it. I mean, it's cost you £6.25 a year so far...

GuyBoden

Guru
The old sausage helmet, safe?, no, I don't think so.

zzzzzzzzzzzkk.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's a big ring!

Top Bottom