Are old helmets still safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tobykenobi

Über Member
Lots of manufacturers recommend replacing helmets after 5 years. I am sure there are good reasons for this. Oh yes, and nothing to do with selling more helmets. Not at all.

Given they are made of plastic and polystyrene - neither of which really degrade much over a few years - I can't see why they would need replacing.

I am generally sceptical of any protective benefits of cycle helmets. I only wear one on my road bike as it seems the done thing when in full lycra and my wife nags me if I don't. I never wear one when commuting or short journeys. Is this rational? Probably not.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Obeying the wife then doing what you like when she's not looking is very rational. :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Definitely no need to spend a ton these days, Giro do some very erm, venty and decent looking helmets around the 60 pounds mark. My wife has the BTwin 700 that cost less than 30 pounds, and I'm actually jealous of her. It looks great and it's really well made.

Tin Pot

Guru
Any advice?

My Specialized is 16 years old, £100 odd quid at the time, but sun, sweat, mud, rain and general 'chod' have taken their toll so how safe are old helmets and is there a suggested replacement date?

Are any helmets safe?

I would suggest you ask Specialized if it still has whatever characteristics it originally claimed to have - I doubt they will say anything other than get a new one.

Erudin

Veteran
Helmet Impact Performance Proven to Hold Up for Decades:

"This is the first time anyone has applied rigorous science to assessing the effects of age on helmet foam liners. It is a welcome antidote to the strident marketing claims that foam deteriorates with age. There are other reasons to replace a helmet--crash damage, strap deterioration, improving fit--but simple aging of the foam liner is not one of them."

http://www.helmets.org/up1505a.htm

"Based on these data, the impact attenuation properties of EPS foam in field-used bicycle helmets do not degrade with the age."

http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/article.aspx?articleid=2497744

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It is the same with matresses. Manufacturers advise us to replace them every 8 years. Of course, nothing to do with business.
( good thing I checked the predictive text as it originally changed " mattresses" to " mistresses" !!).

Last edited:

AnthonyC

Regular
The most credible argument I've ever heard for replacing them is that a helmet may develop minor cracks when it drops on the floor or bangs against a hard surface, which over the years happens many many times (in my case anyway, drop it in the garage or something like that..). And that would potentially compromise the overall integrity.

classic33

Leg End Member
UV damage will be unseen damage for the most part. Is there any part that won't have received have much light over the years that you can make a direct comparison with. Major difference, replace. The plastic will be brittle.(Applies not just to helmets by the way)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It is the same with matresses. Manufacturers advise us to replace them every 8 years. Of course, nothing to do with business.
( good thing I checked the predictive text as it originally changed " mattresses" to " mistresses" !!).
Mistresses should be changed much more regularly than 8 years to keep them feeling mistressy, and unwifey.

oldroadman

Veteran
Actually that's not a bad idea...best check with Signora ORM first. These continentals can be a bit feisty about that sort of thing. ;)

Top Bottom