Are Plusnet any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Sheffield based company know a few mate’s who use them never had a issue. Funny enough we looked at moving from virgin to plusnet. Tried a number of time to get a better deal from virgin no go but once they got the port out code request from plusnet. That all changed I phoned to ask when the change was going to happen and got past to a diffent unknown dept who then phoned back. Asked what price plusnet was offering they then come up with offer we went from 35ish to 12 a mouth.

So basically let them know you mean business then they start talking.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
One of the off putting things about changing, is my email address is registered with a lot of essential contacts, banks etc.
I use a talktalk email address, do you people who change regular use Google, Hotmail address, ie independent of supplier, if not do just inform everybody of your new providers email address?

I was put off moving internet provider because of the hassle of changing email addresses, so i just use a generic gmail account now for all my bills shopping, bank etc. That way if i change providers, i never have to do that again. I wish i had done it a long time ago. ^_^

We have only just got fibre broadband here, so i had BT install it and went with them to start with. As soon as my contract finishes i will swap for Plusnet after all the good reviews from you lot.

I am stuck with them for a another year though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Sounds like plusnet has changed, used them a few years ago, customer service was really bad, they tried a few times to deal with a problem we had, in the end we went with EE, so far so good.

D

Deleted member 26715

Been with Plusnet before they were Plusnet they are good CS goes down a bit around May when the students go home, then takes till October till the new ones get trained.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Been with Plusnet (fibre service) since 2013. A few service outages over the years, not for a long while though, usually quickly sorted, one issue where my speed dropped (sorted by engineer visit, not reoccured), and a few connection problems ('stale session', requiring a call to their support line) that I put down to the Openreach modem & supplied router, because they've not happened since I bought my own modem. That's it. When I've had to get in touch, they've always been helpful and issues have been sorted quickly. Recommended. Now, if they'd get on and launch their own version of BT's G.fast service…

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I changed from TalkTalk to PlusNet four years ago. I was taken in by their friendly Yorkshiremen stuff. They were three weeks late making the changeover, during which my internet service went down. A few months later, it went down again for ten days. Customer services assured me that "tickets had been raised to fix the problem", but I still had no service. After a year, they upped the monthly payment beyond the payments described in my original contract. The small print gave me the option to cancel early if I didn't agree. I phoned them up and told that I'd take the cancellation option. All kinds of special discounts were offered if I stayed with them, but I refused. The "Friendly Yorkshireman" on the other end of the phone got quite rude.

They're tossers. I went to BT. I suggest you do too.

D

Deleted member 26715

They're tossers. I went to BT. I suggest you do too.
Don't want to burst your bubble but Plusnet & BT are the same company, BT bought Plusnet out to get hold of their technology they were years ahead of BT own stuff.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't want to burst your bubble but Plusnet & BT are the same company, BT bought Plusnet out to get hold of their technology they were years ahead of BT own stuff.
I know. I just relayed my experiences of dealing with the Plusnet franchise belonging to BT. They were dreadful. In contrast, my London BT journey has been almost faultless.

I'd tell you how bad the TalkTalk franchise was too, but it's too painful to relate.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hey, don't take my experiences as gospel. You can look at a reasonably independent review of ISPs by going to Which? They publish reviews on the subject quite regularly. To see them, go to a public library, or take out a free/cheap online subscription. The money you spend doing so will pale into insignificance compared to what you would throw at the problem to make Plusnet restore your service after a week of customer service blather messages.

Don't use Plusnet.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One of the off putting things about changing, is my email address is registered with a lot of essential contacts, banks etc.
I use a talktalk email address, do you people who change regular use Google, Hotmail address, ie independent of supplier, if not do just inform everybody of your new providers email address?

For BT customers there is a 60 day period during which the email account remains active. After this there is a £7.99pcm charge to keep the address. Possibly TalkTalk offer similar??

A Gmail account can be set up to automatically catch other email addresses and forward to your Gmail account. You then need an intense day of updating those accounts with banks etc. you can recall. If you can't recall them they're probably unimportant!!

This has been an issue with BT in our house for many years. I took up a Gmail account when it was first launched but never used it. About four years ago I recognized the BT email limited our ability to move so I started using my Gmail address and managed to grab one using Mrs P's real name for her.

We start using Sky on Monday after switching from BT. Never had a problem with BT but their pricing has always been outrageous. The increase this autumn is the final nail in BT's coffin. Sky is £25pcm for landline and BB. I was paying £68 to BT including services we never used. A saving of £43pcm. Better services than BT offered are available for £120pa - Amazon £80pa and Eurosport £40 obviously dependent on one's interests.

The downside is I have to do all the donkey work in Mrs P's accounts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom