are poc helmets too much like a mushroom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
just wondering if all those vents are really needed in the real world.
when I was into mountain biking an eternity ago,there was always some new killer kit to drool over.
I soon learnt,most of it was hype.
Is this true for ventilation in helmets?
can I survive with a minimum of ventilation?

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
Cap underneath? A buff?
Or hair :whistle:

I have a full head of hair and all my own teeth, this compensates for a slightly porky physique.

vickster

Legendary Member
can I survive with a minimum of ventilation?

Yes, although if you are riding all the time at full speed up mountains in high temps, you may want some ventilation. Get a helmet that fits and feels comfortable and forget the reviews in Cycling Plus and similar!

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
Yes, although if you are riding all the time at full speed up mountains in high temps, you may want some ventilation. Get a helmet that fits and feels comfortable and forget the reviews in Cycling Plus and similar!

After a 34 miler on the brompton today, over a rather hilly section I was awash with sweat. It was hot and I was possibly overdressed.
I think ventilation may be a good idea.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
just wondering if all those vents are really needed in the real world.
I have just spent over a week in my sister's old Devon cottage. It has several low doorways and on my first visit I gave myself concussion by accidentally whacking my head on them 4 or 5 times a day. My sister solved the problem by treating me to a 'bump cap' to protect my head. The thing is, despite supposedly being ventilated, it really does not let enough air in and out. Even just walking around the house and garden my head gets really sweaty. That makes me think that cycling wearing a poorly ventilated helmet would be horrid!

With it being so warm this summer you'd be sweating with no helmet anyway.

I think Giro used to claim that you were cooler with their helmet than without but I've not seen any studies showing that since.

My aero helmet for triathlon isn't very ventilated but why vents there are gets a good bit of air rushing through.

Top Bottom