Are prime numbers in bases other than 10 also useful for stuff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Dear cyclopathic, this website is cycle chat, not maths geeks r us

(even a simple child would understand this)

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Dear cyclopathic, this website is cycle chat, not maths geeks r us

(even a simple child would understand this)
Aw, c'mon. There are loads of cycling unrelated things in chat cafe. Besides prime numbers are often used in the configuration of gearing mechanisms for reasons that I heard but did not understand.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No, not all numbers in binary are prime.

A number is prime (or not prime) regardless of the base in which you express it.

Take four for example. That's two times two, so it isn't prime.
In binary I could say "take 100 for example. That's 10 x 10 so it isn't prime".

On planet zog, where they have 9 fingers and use base 9, the number that we call "11" they call "12" but it's still prime.

If there were 11 rocks there on planet zog we could agree with the zoggians that the number of rocks was a prime number, even though we express it differenly. And we call them "rocks" they call them "lovelies"

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran

A number is prime (or not prime) regardless of the base in which you express it.

On planet zog, where they have 9 fingers and use base 9, the number that we call "11" they call "12" but it's still prime.

If there were 11 rocks there on planet zog we could agree with the zoggians that the number of rocks was a prime number, even though we express it differenly. And we call them "rocks" they call them "lovelies"
I like these Zoggians. They make a lot of sense.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Ok that's cleared that up. Thanks for all your help and I will be sure to mention each and every one of you in the paper that I intend to publish on this about the uses of prime numbers in other bases.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have you covered all the bases?

Sharky

Guru

What happens on Planet-X?

Now it's cycle related!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Years ago I was at a cricket match at the Oval, with a mate and a bunch of his mates. I assumed that the chap sat next to me was one of my mate's mates, but he wasn't, he was just a bloke. Anyway, we started chatting.

Then, for no reason I can remember, the mystery man and I decided to applaud prime number partnerships, instead of the boring 50, 100 etc. This required quite a bit of concentration. It gets quite difficult, keeping your eye on the scoreboard and trying to figure out what the next prime is.

Top Bottom