Are second hand prices coming down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

Just looking on ebay at trainers for a friend and noticed that prices have really come down. I mean I paid 400 quid for my wahoo kickr snap new in lock down as second hand prices were roughly the same then. Looking at ebay now, you can pick them a lot lot cheaper. Anyone else noticed this? I need a 'new' second hand bike if this is true.....

Matt

Jody

Stubborn git
I been looking a bit recently and get the impression that the market will drop and there will be some bargains given the cost of living.

There already seems to be some well priced second hand bikes about.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In terms of smart turbo's and stuff like it; I can see the price of these going down for a bit as people who bought them in 2020-21, didn't use one much, and decide to sell as they're short of cash.

Similarly with bikes, although you might not see this down at the budget end as those struggling with transport costs buy a bike for commuting. Given I'm selling 4-5 retro bikes in the Spring this probably won't bode well for the sold price.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
In terms of smart turbo's and stuff like it; I can see the price of these going down for a bit as people who bought them, and didn't use one much, in 2020-21 decide to sell as they're short of cash.

Similarly with bikes, although you might not see this down at the budget end as those struggling with transport costs buy a bike for commuting. Given I'm selling 4-5 retro bikes in the Spring this probably won't bode well for the sold price.

You don't happen to have a Mercian or Bob Jackson for £100 do you!

There was a lovely Dawes Horizon for sale on eBay recently. It went for £41.

Buck

Guru
I keep on looking around for a winter/gravel bike set up.

There’s also a lot of people selling bikes for silly money. “Just ridden for 100 miles” so their price is still a high at a couple of hundred below new.
i think there will be some price adjustments as the industry is mooted to be moving to over supply for the first ime in three years and as above, cost of living pressures etc. will force some to move things on (hopefully) at a reduced price.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Buck - the price moves are already happening. Canyon's reduced their prices and according to my LBS Specialized are offering a 20% discount on any bike that's already in stock at the suppleir.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Gravel bikes are still at a premium. Wouldn't mind one for commuting, but it's cheaper for me to shove some lighter tyres on the old MTB for the summer ! There are more 'deals/sales' popping up than there has been for the last 3 years. Bagged a bargain pair of road shoes, outdoor jackets and a pair of 'superstar' wheels in January.

Buck

Guru
Yep, I’m just watching and seeing how prices go. No rush - I’m sure a “good deal” will come along at some point.

Good morning,

Below are a couple of example from my area of bikes that I would buy for general use if I didn't already have something that does that. They are mainstream bike at prices that are in the realms of reasonable for "normal" people, by that I mean people who don't understand that £3k is entry level:laugh::laugh:

This on ebay and ending today; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185753656693 currently at £103 but under the reserve. Disc brakes, CF fork and 20 miles covered!
1675488941833.png

It is in the Birmingham area so a million or so customers within easy collection distance.
Edit: Bidding ended at £137 and is relisted as reserve not met.

Slightly more upmarket but a bit further south, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225387375124 an unused (100 miles) 1 year old Specialized Allez E5 which didn't go at £450 and has been relisted at £350 with a make an offer button also ending today.
1675489281414.png

In my mind the Carrera represents the market for entry level bikes well and the Allez slightly more upmarket well. I get that £350 for a used bike with Claris might seem expensive, but it is unused, so it is about £400 off in exchange for no warranty.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd expect indoor trainers to represent perhaps the peak of Covid-fuelled-purchases, and fall back massively as such in its wake.

Likewise, lower-end, older / more "mainstream" bikes seem to be taking a hammering; moden road bikes being one example - I suspect along with most other types. I've seen a few 2-3yr old Giant road bikes sell on ebay for around 20-25% of their new RRP.

More novel formats seem to be faring "better"; gravel bikes being one. Mid-high end stuff seems less affected. Prices of vintage stuff seems to have taken a hit too, but perhaps not as much other stuff. That said really nice collectable stuff seems to be keeping its end up to an extent.

Top Bottom