Are second hand prices coming down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't repair used bikes fast enough. I finished a 28" wheel 7 spd ladies city bike on Tuesday and put it on display for what I thought was a rather ambitious price; it was gone on Thursday and I have people calling and asking if I have more in stock; we're discussing the ethics of raising prices to give me a chance to fill the showroom up.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I quite like people on here showing what they find on ebay. I'd like a second hand road bike. I'm 5ft 9 so 56 inch frame I guess so looking on ebay locally but scared I'd buy a stolen one.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good morning,

Below are a couple of example from my area of bikes that I would buy for general use if I didn't already have something that does that. They are mainstream bike at prices that are in the realms of reasonable for "normal" people, by that I mean people who don't understand that £3k is entry level:laugh::laugh:

This on ebay and ending today; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185753656693 currently at £103 but under the reserve. Disc brakes, CF fork and 20 miles covered!
View attachment 676693
It is in the Birmingham area so a million or so customers within easy collection distance.
Edit: Bidding ended at £137 and is relisted as reserve not met.

Slightly more upmarket but a bit further south, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225387375124 an unused (100 miles) 1 year old Specialized Allez E5 which didn't go at £450 and has been relisted at £350 with a make an offer button also ending today.
View attachment 676694

In my mind the Carrera represents the market for entry level bikes well and the Allez slightly more upmarket well. I get that £350 for a used bike with Claris might seem expensive, but it is unused, so it is about £400 off in exchange for no warranty.

Bye

Ian

Last time I rode my mates Allez I got a rash and started wearing Rapha clothing took a good couple of rides on a brooks saddle for it to clear up!🤣🤣🤣

vickster

Legendary Member
I quite like people on here showing what they find on ebay. I'd like a second hand road bike. I'm 5ft 9 so 56 inch frame I guess so looking on ebay locally but scared I'd buy a stolen one.

Just ask lots of questions about the bike and its history, ask to see receipts, ask for the serial number so you can check bike register etc. A thief will likely just ghost you quickly

Jameshow

Veteran

I'd look at the neighbourhood and the sort if guy selling it. Does he know what he's talking about, when he brought it where he rides it etc should give you a good idea.

There a guy on ebay zee bikes who does discount boardman worth a look at.

vickster

Legendary Member

Don’t assume at 5’9 you’ll need a 56cm bike (assuming you’re talking top tube), I’m just under 5’10 and my road bikes are all 54/55cm. Long legs, 56s are too big for me. if in between sizes, better to go smaller. Try before you buy

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I'd look at the neighbourhood and the sort if guy selling it. Does he know what he's talking about, when he brought it where he rides it etc should give you a good idea.

There a guy on ebay zee bikes who does discount boardman worth a look at.

I just looked at zee bikes. Looks like the sort of second hand place I'd like to go and visit. Shame it' a bit far from Herts. Edit, might be new but looks very cheap

vickster

Legendary Member
I just looked at zee bikes. Looks like the sort of second hand place I'd like to go and visit. Shame it' a bit far from Herts. Edit, might be new but looks very cheap

What’s your budget for the bike? What models/brands/spec are you interested in? Have you had road bikes before?
Maybe start a what bike thread in the what bike sub forum :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I just want a bargain really and hope for one by the Spring so I can go out. Years ago had a road bike but have stuck to mountain and hybrids the last fifteen years. I'll start something in the sub forum

vickster

Legendary Member
I just want a bargain really and hope for one by the Spring so I can go out. Years ago had a road bike but have stuck to mountain and hybrids the last fifteen years. I'll start something in the sub forum

What do you call a bargain though?

Good afternoon

Probably one of these two:laugh::laugh::laugh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364125709439
1675515306499.png

Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266065963886
1675515370368.png

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom