Are sportives competitive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mapster1989

Just entered myself into a sportive for April and I went to know whether or not they're competitive or are they just a nice organised ride like a club ride?

For example will there be bunch riding and a sprint at the end?

Sorry if this is a pointless thread.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They're supposed to be a general organised ride.

Some will be competitive, others just there for a day out.

It's not organised like a club ride; groups, etc. but they will form naturally.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have only ever done one and it wasn't ridden in a massive peloton with a bunch sprint at the end :tongue:
There were some small groups that formed, quite organically :smile:
I didn't experience too much in the way of 'mock racing', during the event.
All of the above may have been partly due to the fact that the weather was aweful :rain:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
My understanding is that they will be as competative as you want them to be, eg. There will always be those who want to 'win' it!
I scuppered my chances of the win after getting a flat rear (tyre) 10 mins into it and then taking a wrong turn... had to do some improvisation to eventually get back on track :laugh:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Not a pointless thread at all!

Starts are generally staggered, so there are many bunches through the ride. It's useful as your not stuck with one group. If the group you go with isn't your pace, you can leave them or drop back as you like. As the ride progresses, it's likely that everyone will be quite spaced out.

A sportive is a race against the clock, often with a different colour medal for 3 different completion time ranges.

They are awesome fun and some are extremely well run.

frank9755

Cyclist
The answer to the OP's question is here

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Which one are you doing Mapster? I've signed up for my first one in April also "Midland Monster"
i am thinking of signing up for that as well, which version as one runs from your neck of the woods and the other from rosliston forestry centre.
EDIT
your doing the one near you as the other ones in may :smile:
Back to the OP..
Its not a race and there will be no mass riding and no mass sprints as others have said there will be groups that work together if they want but i did the cannock sportive lat year and did not get a single group so soloed the whole way round along with an extra 12 miles when i got lost.

ziggys101

Über Member
i am thinking of signing up for that as well, which version as one runs from your neck of the woods and the other from rosliston forestry centre.
EDIT
your doing the one near you as the other ones in may :smile:
Back to the OP..
Its not a race and there will be no mass riding and no mass sprints as others have said there will be groups that work together if they want but i did the cannock sportive lat year and did not get a single group so soloed the whole way round along with an extra 12 miles when i got lost.

Since it starts and finishes 1mile from my house I thought it would be rude not to do it :laugh:

Andy_G

Im doing my first proper sportive in 7 weeks, its a 95 mile ride so im hoping its not competitive because ill be fubar.

Phil485

My first one in April too. it wasn't going to be competitive but one of my colleagues from work has just signed up for it too, so there will now be a little bit of needle :smile:

Top Bottom