Are sportives competitive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
Don't know I never been close enough to the lead riders to find out. :rolleyes:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I rode the 'Ronde Picardie' sportif in France last September, and unlike British sportifs it was a mass start on 'initially' closed roads, so this lead to the feel of a race from the off !
Once you seperated out into small groups it was then your decision to stick with them or attempt to jump across to the next group.

It was a great ride and I managed to post my fastest time for a sportif - 80 miles in 4 hours 9 mins :tongue:
( Probably helped by every junction being controlled by marshalls, therefore allowing you to keep moving at a fast pace, unlike here where you have to abide by the laws of the road )

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not really no (other than beating a personal aim) and there will not be a bunch sprint at the end. It will just be a load of people of varying abilities riding the distance. Some people will try to complete in a "fast" time but it is NOT a race and finishing fast won't count toward anything other than your own list of personal goals.

You won't get any points on your race license, you don't even get to list your time on a time trial entry form, well you can write it on there if you want, but they will just treat it as a "no time" and assume you to be slow.

Wigbank

Myself along with 8 of my work mates are doing the utoxiter 76 mile sportive 21st April.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The only sportive I do has only one rider, no entry fee,varying circuit lenght according to my mood, occurs according to the weather and is definitively not competitive. :whistle:

billy1561

BB wrecker
I and my mates try and better previous years times, but if any of us puncture then we all stop together before regrouping and starting over. We all attempt the hills to our best ability then wait at the top for the rest to catch up. Usually me!

Wigbank

I and my mates try and better previous years times, but if any of us puncture then we all stop together before regrouping and starting over. We all attempt the hills to our best ability then wait at the top for the rest to catch up. Usually me!

Can I come riding with you lot please? :-)

Top Bottom