Are sportives competitive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

For example will there be bunch riding and a sprint at the end?

No idea. I've never been at the front to find out! ;)

No, it's not a pointless thread. It's a perfectly good question which many on this forum will only be to pleased to offer their perspective on.

And don't be nervous either. There's really no need to be. You can ride as you like; pootle or push yourself. Sportives are a laugh and a buzz. A bit of 'pre-match' excitement is to be expected and part of it all imho. It's why I ride them tbh. Just to take part in something. I'm complete rubbish when it comes to riding quickly, I'll have my moments and do push myself a bit but I'm under no illusions. I'm not pretending to be anyone or anything, I'm just having a laugh.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I'm going to have a go at my first Audax in June this year, which will be my first event other than my local (Evesham) St John's charity rides. I'm just hoping people will be patient and not laugh too much.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm going to have a go at my first Audax in June this year, which will be my first event other than my local (Evesham) St John's charity rides. I'm just hoping people will be patient and not laugh too much.....

Audax are far less competitive in nature then sportives.

Wigbank

Yeah and you're guaranteed to look good :smile:

Are you sure?? I mean I went out as a grup of 4 on Sunday, I was the generic fat kid at the back of the pack falling further and further behind!!. Though I did catch them up on the downhill bits as I quite like going fast!

frank9755

Cyclist

Unlike sportives, audaxes genuinely are competitive events. That does not mean they are races, but there are points awarded for achievements (getting round within the time limits). Those points are ratified by a governing body and added up and, at the end of the season, prizes are awarded, and records may be set. Audax riders can be fiercely competitive but they will be competing not against you but with themselves.

No-one will laugh at you on an audax. If they did, the joke would be on them. You get a diversity of riders, bikes and styles so that, while not everyone fits in, no-one tends to stick out. Hope you enjoy it!

Audax are far less competitive in nature then sportives.
Yes, and no!

Philip Whiteman

Über Member

A cycling buddy of mine, runs an audax in June in your area if you are interested. It is a popular event with upto 400 riders spread across 4 routes. www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html . Otherwise, Evesham Wheelers usually organise an event at the beginning of August starting from Wickhamford.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

The thing with Audax is that some people are proud of getting round quick and others proud of getting full value for their entry fee by taking maximum time. You will see everything from lean racers on Carbonfibre flying machines to older (wiser?) ones on heavy old steel bikes enjoying a mid ride slap up meal in a pub and not rushing it.

Everyone who finishes is a winner.

The Audax website publishes a list of successful finishers, finishing times /places are not posted. Noone will laugh no matter who you are or what you ride.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
The event I'm doing is the Cotswold Outing with the Beacon RCC. I will of course be sporting the Cycle Chat jersey, as befits a forum member. I quite enjoy these organised rides, such as the charity rides, because there are plenty of people to chat to as I gently drift towards the back of the pack.....;)

Top Bottom