Are the roads safer or have my perceptions changed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm thinking the latter, I definitely have fewer "near death" experiences when I'm cycling.
I've either improved massively as a road user or my perception of a close pass has changed.

GrasB

Veteran
Probably a bit of both. Since my other half started cycling longer distances rather than just riding a few miles across town to work the shops I've noticed she has slowly taken a more assertive road position all the time etc. She swears she's not changed her riding style but to me it's evident.

I also think that we slowly get de-sensitised to close passes. I say this as I now ride on 3 distinct platforms (up right, high-racer recumbent & low-racer recumbent) I notice when swapping between them I find I register a 'close pass' much further out for the first miles on the road.

simon.r

Person
Funnily enough I was just thinking the same. I've just done a cross-City 'commute' for the first time in a few months (work commitments have meant my cycling has been restricted to evenings and weekends recently) and my perception was that more drivers were extremely considerate than normal.

I also noticed a lot more cyclists on the route than, say, this time last year - I wonder if the two are linked? As we become more 'normal' are drivers expecting to see us and a more aware of how to drive in our vicinity?

I certainly hope that's the case:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In London I do think cycling has become safer over the years. As more and more people take to cycle commuting, car drivers have no choice but to be aware of and around cyclists. In some parts of London at junctions and bridges cyclists outnumber cars. It's a learning process for car drivers.

There has also been extensive campaigns of motor/cycle awareness which has helped.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I noticed, in London, that during the Olympics and Paralympics last summer people were generally nicer to each other (and cyclists) on the road, but a month or two after they finished everyone went back to being a'holes and the level of "near misses" has gone back to what it was before the games.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'd like to think that they are safer and that drivers are a lot more cycle aware than they ever have been. Thing is though I've never really found them to feel that dangerous.

I can say that, in my little bubble of friends and relatives, more of them seem to have an opinion on cyclists where they didn't before. More of them are also educated (I hate that word its so patronising), correctly or not, on the issue of cycling.

My sister, who lives in the remote bit of the Weald of Kent and sees few bikes from day to day, held a discussion with me at the weekend about the dangers of cycle lanes!

So we are definitley getting there

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I define a close pass as one that causes my bike to wobble, thereby putting me in danger of hitting the deck. This could be because I've instinctively flinched or swerved, or something to do with the laws of physics and air flow. Anything else I don't notice. That might be right or wrong, I don't know. Nor do I care. It works for me!

I'm also a lot more confident on the road now and ride in secondary, happily moving into primary to pre-emptively prevent a silly overtake if it's a blind corner and so on, but also briefly moving to the side to allow cars to pass if it's suitable (not if the road's potholed / littered etc) and trying to be as considerate to other road users as I'd like them to be to me. It's a style that works for me in my particular neck of the woods, including the main A roads from Taunton to Minehead, Bridgwater, Wellington and beyond.

jarlrmai

Veteran
To be honest I'm noticing no difference in anyone's driving or attitudes on the road recently.

I noticed someone's been putting up posters on the bus shelters around my town saying "Welcome to X, worst town in Britain for cycling"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm thinking the latter, I definitely have fewer "near death" experiences when I'm cycling.
I've either improved massively as a road user or my perception of a close pass has changed.
One gets used to everything in life :rolleyes:

jarlrmai

Veteran
They didn't think the type face through.

8ohWunal.jpg

paul04

Über Member
I was very apprehensive when I started to ride my bike on the road, but now 8 months later, and I am alot more confident. working out the flow of traffic and moving into the primary position at lot earlier.

I have found that 99% of drivers are very good, give you room when they pass. I've had 5 near misses, where I've had to take evasive action to avoid a crash, every one the car drivers fault. I think we learn abit more each day.

Top Bottom