Are there any scientific studies into effectiveness of gels/tabs/powders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I've always resisted using these. I take 50/50 orange juice/water in my bottle and I pop Jelly Babies when I really need a boost, though I'm finding as I get fitter that I don't even use those unless I'm doing more than 30 or 40 miles.

I've been training up to do the London to Paris (3 days) and doing more 50+ mile rides, usually with a lot of climbing. As I have a bag of stuff I've blagged for free over the years I dipped into them, usually using 1 powder sachet in my drink per ride and a couple of gels. Pleased with how my training has gone, but no evidence that it's related to these.

Are there any research papers, blind studies etc which show whether there is any real benefit in using these things over juice/jellies ?

Similar with using protein recovery supplements vs eating high protein foods within 2 hours of the ride.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The benefit is convenience.

It is just food, you may as well ask if there are any scientific studies to determine "if sandwiches work"...

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member

It is just food, you may as well ask if there are any scientific studies to determine "if sandwiches work"...

Hmmm ... OK I take your point, I guess I was asking if there is any real benefit to using gels vs just eating.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Some things are definitely quicker and easier to digest though. There wouldn't be much point in trying to eat a chunk of steak for an energy boost towards the end of a race.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes, No, maybe .... Bollox

There's a shed-load of research that's been done, some good some bad, some relevant, some not, like food, some of eat will be easy to digest and some will be just carp. Unless you have a bent for nutrition and human physiology you're never going to get a comprehensive answer. Simpler more 'marketing' related studies will also be out there but I doubt there's much that compares eating REAL FOOD vs Superdextropepto 5 (TM Fab Foodie) drink ....
Also, who is the research/product/marketing about .... super-high performing athletes, Sportive weekend-warriors or just us fairly fit regular cycling Joes? If us average Joes can understand the promo-date then it's too simplified to be much use ....
It also depends what kind of ride you are undertaking and your particular physiology.

For example a TdF rider will be finely tuned, carry little excess fat, have huge aerobic capacity, and needs to take-on bag-loads of energy without stopping or little on-bike time to eat. They also have full-time nutritionists on hand fuelling them 24hrs/day. That's not a situation most of us are in .... well sportive riders think they are :whistle:
On the go, energy drinks and gels are advantageous but leave you feeling empty and often windy!

The rest of us can afford greater diversity of foods and general evidence seems to be eat whatever energy-packed (fat/protein/carb) you enjoy. IIRC, Gethin Butler broke the LEJOG record on a diet of burgers, Steve Abrahams is racking-up monster daily miles on KFC and Sausages for the 1YTT. Usain Bolt's last meal before annihilating the 100 metres record's last meal was Chicken McNuggets.

REAL FOOD keeps you feeling full/comfortable and provides sustained energy release, more than sufficient for most of us. I like a lot of meaty/savoury products as constant sweetness during the day gets yucky. Gels or similar are fine for that last boost to finish the day or if you're really exerting yourself without taking sufficient REAL FOOD on board. In my view, Gels are overpriced, sticky and wasteful on packaging, Dextrosol Tabs on the other hand are cheap, dry, edible and do the same job with much less packaging waste. You can also chuck a couple in yer water bottle for good measure. Talking of water bottles, hydration tabs such as nuun or SIS might not be such a bad idea, but if eating REAL FOOD probably less required.
A few mins off the bike to stretch, look at the view and eat REAL FOOD seems worthwhile to me ... I'm not racing.

Regarding recovery products, Milk or Choco-milk is more than most mortals require and are both recommended by many Sporting organisations, cheap available and does all you need followed by a good meal.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Yes, No, maybe .... Bollox

There's a shed-load of research that's been done, some good some bad, some relevant, some not, like food, some of eat will be easy to digest and some will be just carp. Unless you have a bent for nutrition and human physiology you're never going to get a comprehensive answer. Simpler more 'marketing' related studies will also be out there but I doubt there's much that compares eating REAL FOOD vs Superdextropepto 5 (TM Fab Foodie) drink ....
Also, who is the research/product/marketing about .... super-high performing athletes, Sportive weekend-warriors or just us fairly fit regular cycling Joes? If us average Joes can understand the promo-date then it's too simplified to be much use ....
It also depends what kind of ride you are undertaking and your particular physiology.

For example a TdF rider will be finely tuned, carry little excess fat, have huge aerobic capacity, and needs to take-on bag-loads of energy without stopping or little on-bike time to eat. They also have full-time nutritionists on hand fuelling them 24hrs/day. That's not a situation most of us are in .... well sportive riders think they are :whistle:
On the go, energy drinks and gels are advantageous but leave you feeling empty and often windy!

The rest of us can afford greater diversity of foods and general evidence seems to be eat whatever energy-packed (fat/protein/carb) you enjoy. IIRC, Gethin Butler broke the LEJOG record on a diet of burgers, Steve Abrahams is racking-up monster daily miles on KFC and Sausages for the 1YTT. Usain Bolt's last meal before annihilating the 100 metres record's last meal was Chicken McNuggets.

REAL FOOD keeps you feeling full/comfortable and provides sustained energy release, more than sufficient for most of us. I like a lot of meaty/savoury products as constant sweetness during the day gets yucky. Gels or similar are fine for that last boost to finish the day or if you're really exerting yourself without taking sufficient REAL FOOD on board. In my view, Gels are overpriced, sticky and wasteful on packaging, Dextrosol Tabs on the other hand are cheap, dry, edible and do the same job with much less packaging waste. You can also chuck a couple in yer water bottle for good measure. Talking of water bottles, hydration tabs such as nuun or SIS might not be such a bad idea, but if eating REAL FOOD probably less required.
A few mins off the bike to stretch, look at the view and eat REAL FOOD seems worthwhile to me ... I'm not racing.

Regarding recovery products, Milk or Choco-milk is more than most mortals require and are both recommended by many Sporting organisations, cheap available and does all you need followed by a good meal.

Good all round answer - LIKE and thanks

Top Bottom