Are these housings worth a try?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Seeing as Jagwire have released some new cables recently and also decided to split the previous 'all in one' Road Pro packs up into separate brake and gear packs, thus costing twice the price (£60!!!!!) I'm looking fior alternatives.

These are quite possibly going to be utter cr*p, but maybe worth a punt. The housings are polymer lined and look to be similar to the Jagwire stuff. Surely, they can't be that bad if used with quality stainless inner cables?

Brake Cable Outer 5mm

Gear-Cable-Outer-4mm

Seeing as Jagwire have released some new cables recently and also decided to split the previous 'all in one' Road Pro packs up into separate brake and gear packs, thus costing twice the price (£60!!!!!) I'm looking fior alternatives.

These are quite possibly going to be utter cr*p, but maybe worth a punt. The housings are polymer lined and look to be similar to the Jagwire stuff. Surely, they can't be that bad if used with quality stainless inner cables?

Brake Cable Outer 5mm

Gear-Cable-Outer-4mm

I use these inners, it solves many issues.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/anti-friction-derailleur-cable-id_8351524.html

gbb

Legendary Member
If trying them and accepting they MAY be carp and will MAY need replacing, the price makes that something worth accepting/trying. Braking MAY not be as sharp.

Compression of the inner spiral under braking is where you're just not going to know how they perform until you have fitted them. They may be perfectly ok, they may be a whole lot worse than say Shimanos better stuff.

At those prices and how relatively easy it is to replace outers...i'd have a go.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
TBH I normally use Clarks.

DSCN0090.JPG

I use these inners, it solves many issues.

Those coated ones are ok at first but the coating comes off and 'gunks up' the inner sleeving, Stainless inners and plenty of grease is my solution.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/anti-friction-derailleur-cable-id_8351524.html

Ajax Bay

Guru
BTwin £4: "Galvanised steel cable, covered with a layer of PTFE to reduce friction"
BTwin half the price (£2): https://www.decathlon.co.uk/universal-inner-gear-cable-id_8043618.html
I thought that stainless steel cables were considered to be 'better' than galvanised so interested to hear why you prefer these, irrespective of which outers are used (topic of thread). Think it may be that you replace regularly (ie annually) and look after your bikes and therefore the disadvantages of galvanised do not present themselves). Do you find you suffer less 'stretch' with galvanised?
Compare with Shimano product description: "Stainless steel provides smooth shifting and higher corrosion resistance. Outer casing is lubricated internally along its length with low-friction silicone grease to reduce cable friction."

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I’ve had numerous issues with Clark’s stuff, which means I won’t use them anymore. The coated ones I’ve been using, have done over 20000 miles to date, with none of the ‘issues’ you mentioned.
I used a set of 'Teflon coated' inners once and all the black stuff came off where they exited the outers, then they corroded at that point so it was back to Stainless and grease.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I use Wilkinson's cables a lot of the time on the older stuff and never had any issue's

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Ajax Bay

Guru
These are quite possibly going to be utter cr*p, but maybe worth a punt. . . . Surely, they can't be that bad if used with quality stainless inner cables?
Brake Cable Outer 5mm
Gear-Cable-Outer-4mm
I wouldn't buy non-branded stuff like this off e - bay, not even as a 'punt' - not worth it. You save very little (compared to the Decathlon stuff for example) and have no assurance as to quality. Your LBS will sell you outers cut to the correct lengths for little more than on-line.

davidphilips

Veteran
I used a set of 'Teflon coated' inners once and all the black stuff came off where they exited the outers, then they corroded at that point so it was back to Stainless and grease.

Know the old saying a man after my own heart, there are many now who say not to oil or grease inner cables but i never fit an inner cable unless i oil or grease it and have no issues with cables.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I've used Decathlon stainless inners before, gear and brake and always found them to be fine. Like I said in my OP, it's the housings more than anything. I'm just not prepared to pay twice the price that I used to pay for a Jagwire complete set. I don't know how they can justify a 50% mark up by splitting what was a complte cable set into separate brake and gear sets.

I think the outers I linked to are made by Fibrax in Wrexham. Mixed opinions with Fibrax stuff, as is Clarke's

Regards Clarke's, I find their multi (triple) compound brake pads excellent. Much better than stock Shimano pads, cheap too.

Top Bottom