are these shimano sora shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
!BRDyNfQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLlvjJvBJ8E(V(n+!~~_1.JPG

May be buying this bike in question...it has "sora gears"....but are these sora shifters? If so what is the retail price on these and second hand price....I understand they are pretty costly?

The brakes say Shimano RSX which I assume is bottom/near the bottom of the range... the shifters may also be RSX?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
!BRDyNfQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLlvjJvBJ8E(V(n+!~~_1.JPG

May be buying this bike in question...it has "sora gears"....but are these sora shifters? If so what is the retail price on these and second hand price....I understand they are pretty costly?

The brakes say Shimano RSX which I assume is bottom/near the bottom of the range... the shifters may also be RSX?

It looks to me that they are RSX, as it says RSX on them;)
As for what they are in relation to the other groupsets, i have no idea. Id have a guess at bottom of the range.
They look better then the new Sora shifters though, or at least the ones i have on the Giant.
They have the gear changing tabs in the right places, instead of two different ones.

They're not sora as Joe says they look like RSX. I've got sora on my winter bike and having veloce on my summer bike I quite like the idea of two separate levers in different positions. I find the sora a pain particularly for changing whilst on the drops however. I've no idea where RSX sits on spectrum but I quite like the look of them.

Dave5N

Über Member
As the others said.

Sora shifters are great for kids - adaptable reach;

or adults - cheap.

They are shoot when you're in the drops a gear or more out and doing 35 + and it's bumpy and your BLOODY THUMB JUST ISN'T LONG ENOUGH!!!!

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Dave5N said:
As the others said.

Sora shifters are great for kids - adaptable reach;

or adults - cheap.

They are shoot when you're in the drops a gear or more out and doing 35 + and it's bumpy and your BLOODY THUMB JUST ISN'T LONG ENOUGH!!!!

Sounds like there's a gap in the market for gloves with a rubber thumb extension :tongue:

Shimano have missed a trick here... Sora thumb extensions :becool:

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
amnesia said:
Sounds like there's a gap in the market for gloves with a rubber thumb extension :biggrin:

Shimano have missed a trick here... Sora thumb extensions ;)

Do you mean sorer thumb shifters?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
djtheglove said:
Do you mean sorer thumb shifters?
Ho ho, I like that one! ;)

Sora shifters are similar in operation to Campagnolo ergo-shifters, but not as well implemented. I don't have particularly long thumbs but I can (just) operate my Campagnolo Athena and Chorus thumb controls from the drops when I have to.

Top Bottom