Are these times any good for a beginner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Where did he say he was on a spin bike? As far as I recall he said it wasn't an expensive bike.

We seem to have scared him off anyway :-(
He said he was on an indoor bike, I read that as an exercise bike

Reactions: C R

DRM

Guru
Am I missing something? 42km in an hour is mediocre in an open (amateur) British time trial. I've beaten that several times and I wasn't that good, though the older I get the better I was.
You are saying you can ride at 42km/h for one whole hour? And travel for 42 km’s at a Constant effort, you’re better than me

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No I’m not, I’m saying a 25 mile TT will be a huge effort to go sub 1 hour 10 minutes, ten miles even I could do that in a reasonable time and I’m far from race fit, the OP asked if it’s possible to do 42 km’s In under 1 hour, I say unless they have a huge talent , no, Eddie Merckx did 49.431 km’s In 1 hour, so I stand by what I say
Yes, I'm sorry I completely misread your original post.

houblon

You are saying you can ride at 42km/h for one whole hour? And travel for 42 km’s at a Constant effort, you’re better than me
I could ride faster than that when I was young and had a number on my back. Bit past it now, but I was only ever a 3rd cat. Local hero Ken Platts though, he rode 48km in an hour at age 60 a few years back.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This might be a daft question as I've never got into the murky world of TT, do riders go faster or slower in a TT vs an equivalent length track ride - such as a crack at the hour record. I'd assume the track is faster given no wind or inclines, and although one is allowed gears on a TT bike, given the aim is to ride constant speed, a fixed gear is hardly a handicap?

gzoom

Über Member
I could ride faster than that when I was young and had a number on my back. Bit past it now, but I was only ever a 3rd cat. Local hero Ken Platts though, he rode 48km in an hour at age 60 a few years back.

Some of you guys must have legs like tree trunks, I just come back from a 30 miles loop on the road bike, could barely get above 16mph average let alone nearly double that!! At one point with a 12mph headwind, and a 5% gradient I was struggling to get over 10mph!

51066355091_429055f4eb_c_d.jpg

DRM

Guru
Some of you guys must have legs like tree trunks, I just come back from a 30 miles loop on the road bike, could barely get above 16mph average let alone nearly double that!! At one point with a 12mph headwind, and a 5% gradient I was struggling to get over 10mph!

View attachment 580086
You and I are at a similar pace, however doing a loop as you know, is reliant on traffic lights, junctions and roundabouts, as well as wind & terrain, so other than being a talented , trained racing snake, 42 KM’s in an hour is not possible, but 30 miles in 2 hours is a good effort in my book

houblon

This might be a daft question as I've never got into the murky world of TT, do riders go faster or slower in a TT vs an equivalent length track ride - such as a crack at the hour record. I'd assume the track is faster given no wind or inclines, and although one is allowed gears on a TT bike, given the aim is to ride constant speed, a fixed gear is hardly a handicap?

Track is definitely faster. A track bike is, in Alexei Sayle's words. "the pinnacle of engineering perfection". There's no need for the crap that slows you down, like brakes and gears. The tyres don't have to deal with water or unpredictable surfaces so can be optimised for going fast in a straight (well, nearly) line, and pumped up to stupid pressure.

I've only spent one morning on the track, on a taster day at Manchester velodrome with a bunch of mountain bikers most of whom had never ridden a fixed wheel. It was pretty daunting entering the centre of the track and looking up at the banking but after not long we all wanted to stay up there. It was like a perpetual downhill on a magic carpet.

gbb

Legendary Member
TBH I don't really understand the numbers you've posted.

I have many friends who achieve an average of 42km/hour regularly on Zwift. They are all very experienced and very good cyclists on the real roads. I doubt anyone with a year's experience would hit this level.

You said you started this year? No chance in my opinion.
Its brutally honest but I'd agree, no chance unless OP is young, very fit and training properly (with professional help)
As an example philthecat, at 40 to 50 years old I was the fittest I'd ever been, cycling around 6k miles a year. That's over 100 miles a week and I struggled like hell to make 19mph average on solo rides of around 50 miles on the road. I was really working at it, push push push, doing everything I could to up my average. That was a DIY training regime essentially so no doubt I wasnt doing things right, so maybe with proper training and age on your side you would do significantly better than that. There are plenty of fitter cyclists out there than I was at my peak but at the same I was working my nuts off. It's great, I was enjoying it....but be ready for some serious hard work.

Reactions: C R

houblon

OTE="gbb, post: 6366391, member: 207"]
Its brutally honest but I'd agree, no chance unless OP is young, very fit and training properly (with professional help)
As an example philthecat, at 40 to 50 years old I was the fittest I'd ever been, cycling around 6k miles a year. That's over 100 miles a week and I struggled like hell to make 19mph average on solo rides of around 50 miles on the road. I was really working at it, push push push, doing everything I could to up my average. That was a DIY training regime essentially so no doubt I wasnt doing things right, so maybe with proper training and age on your side you would do significantly better than that. There are plenty of fitter cyclists out there than I was at my peak but at the same I was working my nuts off. It's great, I was enjoying it....but be ready for some serious hard work.
[/QUOTE]

Yes it will take work, and yes it's easier when you're younger. But when I was young and mediocre i was regularly doing that sort of speed and getting beaten by guys who certainly didn't have professional coaches, just a little dedication.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

“In 2000, Boardman attempted the UCI record on a traditional bike, and rode 49.441 km (30.721 mi), topping Merckx by 10 metres (32.8 ft), an improvement of 0.02%.”

So where did this 60 year old manage this 48km, just 1.5km shy of Chris Boardman‘s hour world record attempt above? Something Chris set when he was 32.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,
“In 2000, Boardman attempted the UCI record on a traditional bike, and rode 49.441 km (30.721 mi), topping Merckx by 10 metres (32.8 ft), an improvement of 0.02%.”

So where did this 60 year old manage this 48km, just 1.5km shy of Chris Boardman‘s hour world record attempt above? Something Chris set when he was 32.
I just found this link https://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/news/platts-rides-again for a Dr Ken Platts 49:57 25 mile TT.

I think that this was on the E2/25 course, Newmarket which is a fast course, Alex Dowsett did a 44:29 on another day.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom