Are these worth holding on to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bristolbikeguy

Hi

I've got a two Raleigh Pioneer bikes. One is a Pioneer Trail from the 90s. I (stupidly) took it to Halfords for a 'service' and they totally buggered it up. I got a refund, but the gears aren't working properly. It needs fixing.

The other one is one I bought because I was caught without a bike. I got it for £50, a Pioneer Venture. I think it's from the same era because it's quite old.

Which one should I keep - would it be better to fix the Trail and get rid of the Venture, or just keep the Venture?

Thanks!

tyred

Legendary Member
Are these steel MTBs without suspension?

If so, they are definitely worth holding on to and spending a bit of time on. With slick tyres, mudguards, a carrier and some dynamo lights hey make excellent all round bikes for commuting or touring.

It need not cost a fortune to do this.

OP
OP
B

bristolbikeguy

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

They are not MTBs as such - they seem to be hybrids as they have hybrid tires, but 21 gears on each. Big wheels too. I'll try and post some pictures up.

The problem with the Trail is that the gears aren't shifting properly. The people at Halfords replaced the gear cables and the left shifter, and then it wouldn't change properly after that. When they gave it back and I rode it for the first time the chain came off when I changed gear (in both directions!) They spent a month (literally) trying to fix it but couldn't figure it out.

They've replaced the rear derailleur with what looks like a cheap shimano one. Should I stick the original back on? I don't think there was anything wrong with it I think they just were trying anything they could.

I'll post some pictures of the bikes.

tyred

Legendary Member
The gears probably just need setting up. This isn't actually that difficult to do and you should find all the information you require on Sheldon Brown's website or any number of youtube videos.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Bristolbikeguy & :welcome:.

That Pioneer Trail looks to be a similar vintage (mid to late 90's) to my Pioneer Jaguar:
DSC00624.JPG

The Venture is probably early 90's.

I'd say both of those are worth keeping and fettling up as they are quite modifiable and nice riding machines (in my opinion).:thumbsup:

The rear derailleur that has been fitted is from the cheap end of shimano's range but it is a good one and should shift really smoothly when correctly set up. Unless what was fitted before was something higher spec I wouldn't change it back.:stop:

Until the recent upgrade I had the same one fitted to mine.

The Sheldon Brown article that Tyred refers to is HERE. I hope it helps.

OP
OP
B

bristolbikeguy

Thanks Phil

I took a look at the frames and the Venture has some kind of carbon steel 18 23 frame. The Trail has 4130 chromoly.

The Trail feels much 'nicer' to sit on, it's difficult to figure out why!

I think I will try and get these sorted as my girlfriend would probably like to use the Venture - they'd make a nice touring pair!

tyred

Legendary Member
I would definitely save those. Nothing wrong with the derailleur either.

18-23 is Raleigh's "house" steel. Nothing wrong with it at all. It won't be butted or anything like that so won't be overly light but it is perfectly serviceable. My 1950s Raleigh in 18-23 rides very nicely.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I have the womens version of the Raleigh Pioneer Venture that I bought from new in the early nineties. All original except the saddle and probably done no more than 3 or 4 hundred miles tops. I've kept it for sentimental reasons and always thought it was worth more to me than what it was worth in hard cash. As tyred has said, a good commuter/shopper which is what I used it for.

compo

Veteran
18-23 is Raleigh's "house" steel. Nothing wrong with it at all. It won't be butted or anything like that so won't be overly light but it is perfectly serviceable. My 1950s Raleigh in 18-23 rides very nicely.

Excuse me butting in. Over the years I have had many Raleighs and I never knew about their code for "house steel". We learn something new every day.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The different feel between the bikes will be down to the set up. I notice that the Trail has the saddle set nose down/quite a long way back and the handlebars set quite low while the Venture has the saddle very nose up and as far forward as it will go. Adjustments are easy using an Allen key.

Tyred has already mentioned the 18-23 steel. The 4130 chromoly is an aircraft/automotive grade steel-based-alloy which is lighter and stronger than ordinary steel. On this bike I'm pretty sure it's not butted so it won't be as light as it could be. (Your useless information for the day.^_^)

For what it's worth, I agree that they'd make a nice matched pair.:thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
Excuse me butting in. Over the years I have had many Raleighs and I never knew about their code for "house steel". We learn something new every day.

You tend to find it in the mid range bikes. Not as nice as Reynolds 531 but better than cheapo gas pipe.
Peugeot did similar with Carbolite 103 and Tube Special Allege Peugeot.

OP
OP
B

bristolbikeguy

Wow that Lizcycle is really lovely

I think I may keep a look out for others because for that money it's worth just picking one up.

Thanks Rickshaw Phil for the tip - I've adjusted the saddle and it's much better now. I think I might get hold of a replacement saddle as well because the Apollo saddle that's on it isn't particularly adjustable.

Really interesting stuff!!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Thanks Bristol Guy - I am fairly competent mechanically - but not particularly skilled, so I hope the photos illustrate what can be achieved. I put new brake and gear cables on the bike (£12) and spent about £12 on paint, £6 for a new chain and that was it - so £45.01 (and I put a new carrier on it that I had in my garage as I couldn't be bothered to clean the rust off the original)
My wife is of course called Liz hence the "Lizycle" - she was very pleased with it!

Top Bottom