Are these worth holding on to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I forgot ....changed the tyres too. Always worth doing with old rubber to avoid deflations (tradition on here not to mention the P word!)

Si_

Regular
you may find if the big h has slapped on a new mech the "f stop screw" as know it, hasnt been set correctly for clearance of the rear mech to the block. thus the mech hangs down way too low and the indexing is off. its the tiny little cross head at the back of the mech that isn't either the of the high or low adjustments. It also may be worth checking the leverage ratios between your new mech and old shifters.

OP
OP
B

bristolbikeguy

you may find if the big h has slapped on a new mech the "f stop screw" as know it, hasnt been set correctly for clearance of the rear mech to the block. thus the mech hangs down way too low and the indexing is off. its the tiny little cross head at the back of the mech that isn't either the of the high or low adjustments. It also may be worth checking the leverage ratios between your new mech and old shifters.
Thanks for this

I've adjusted the high and low adjusters, and then adjusted the barrel. When I watched a tutorial it said that if the gears are indexed then once you get the barrel adjustment right for the change from the smallest cog to the 2nd smallest, then the rest should be set up fine. It's almost there, but it's still sticking between gears.

It's still much better than Halfords had it (who'd have thought, me a complete noob with 1 youtube video as help!) But it's not quite right.

Question: if the leverage ratios are different, do I need to replace parts until they're the same?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for this

I've adjusted the high and low adjusters, and then adjusted the barrel. When I watched a tutorial it said that if the gears are indexed then once you get the barrel adjustment right for the change from the smallest cog to the 2nd smallest, then the rest should be set up fine. It's almost there, but it's still sticking between gears.
Adjusting the rear I prefer to set the high and low stops, then set up the indexing on the middle gear (7 cogs on the rear? Makes it easy.)

It's still much better than Halfords had it (who'd have thought, me a complete noob with 1 youtube video as help!) But it's not quite right.
:thumbsup: Going in the right direction

Question: if the leverage ratios are different, do I need to replace parts until they're the same?
This will only apply if you are mixing top end SRAM shifters or derailleurs with Shimano. Shimano use a 2:1 pull ratio SRAM use 1:1 for slicker shifting.

Just to confuse the issue, SRAM's lower end stuff is Shimano compatible.

Top Bottom