Are used cars more expensive than they used to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Says someone who clearly doesn’t live anywhere near the Home Counties

Indeed there are many furious Range Rover owners around here "disgusted that they have to pay that horrible man's ULEZ tax. He only got re-elected thanks to <insert racist reason here>... etc. Whatever will the poor people do who can't afford to change their car... <ad nauseam>"

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
You clearly haven't visited the denizens of North Surrey NextDoor / Hampton / Fulwell/ Molesey / Sunbury etc.
Nope and no intention! If I have to head down London Town way it'll be a train journey all the way and one back north ASAP after business concluded. Not a fan to say the least.

It's probably 40 years since I was in a car in London as a kid. About 20 years ago I took a taxi ride euston station to a smart hilton somewhere a few miles away. Most London trips I use the underground to get around or walk. Suspect it's a better transport option that way.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope and no intention! If I have to head down London Town way it'll be a train journey all the way and one back north ASAP after business concluded. Not a fan to say the least.

It's probably 40 years since I was in a car in London as a kid. About 20 years ago I took a taxi ride euston station to a smart hilton somewhere a few miles away. Most London trips I use the underground to get around or walk. Suspect it's a better transport option that way.

Not all of Greater London/ expanded ULEZ is served by the underground, eg the whole of LB Sutton, Bromley, Croydon (and probably several others)

icowden

Veteran
Not all of Greater London/ expanded ULEZ is served by the underground, eg the whole of LB Sutton, Bromley, Croydon (and probably several others)

Yes - that was the most contentious part of expanding the ULEZ. As you get towards the edge of Greater London the public transport falls away a bit (although usually there is rail and bus it's going to be tricky getting an IKEA flatpack on the tram...)

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran

TBH I've never needed to go anywhere not served by underground plus foot or underground, bus and foot. Not been to London enough to find a need to go to difficult to reach except by car areas of London. Do they really exist? I mean with TfL and the money spent on London transportation networks, etc. Afterall other areas of uk are trying to emulate it such as Manchester bee network and iirc Wales having a TfWales organisation set up.

You know it is sounding more and more London centric. Like cars must be used in London! I bet most cars never go near London and other ULEZs.

icowden

Veteran
TBH I've never needed to go anywhere not served by underground plus foot or underground, bus and foot. Not been to London enough to find a need to go to difficult to reach except by car areas of London. Do they really exist? I mean with TfL and the money spent on London transportation networks, etc. Afterall other areas of uk are trying to emulate it such as Manchester bee network and iirc Wales having a TfWales organisation set up.
It depends on how you define London. Kingston, Sutton, Croydon are all part of London for example, but are not served by the Tube (although they have decent rail and bus links). If you live in Kingston etc you are more likely to have a car to drive out of London, and if you live in the outskirts of Surrey you may well drive to Croydon or Kingston or similar to do your shopping because you don't have great transport links to get there.

For example to get to Kingston town centre from where I live takes about 20 mins in the car but 47 to 55 minutes by bus and the two available busses run once per hour. To go by Rail I'd have to walk for 40 minutes to the station then take a train to Wimbledon, followed by a train to Kingston which would take 40 minutes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If I had to pay a ULEZ charge, and I don't, I'd be driving a tax and MOT free car which was over 40 years old. Which would also be ULEZ free.

But I don't. So I've no excuse currently to use explaining to SWMBO why I want one.

Slick

Guru
To be honest you could also drive any petrol car made after 2006 and any Diesel made after 2015. It's not that hard to get a car that meets the requirements!

Pretty much how it is in Scotland, but I think the plan is to toughen that annually, although that could be a more elongated process than that. Also, is there not an "Ultra Low Zone" in London?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
It depends on how you define London. Kingston, Sutton, Croydon are all part of London for example, but are not served by the Tube (although they have decent rail and bus links). If you live in Kingston etc you are more likely to have a car to drive out of London, and if you live in the outskirts of Surrey you may well drive to Croydon or Kingston or similar to do your shopping because you don't have great transport links to get there.

For example to get to Kingston town centre from where I live takes about 20 mins in the car but 47 to 55 minutes by bus and the two available busses run once per hour. To go by Rail I'd have to walk for 40 minutes to the station then take a train to Wimbledon, followed by a train to Kingston which would take 40 minutes.

For me London is likely to be where the main tourist's sights are. I really have no reason to be there but I suspect I'm going to be dragged to London this summer. Probably to museum, parliament, Hamleys and possibly a show too. No doubt more touristy places. Anywhere other than those sort of places could be the moon as far as I'm concerned. Just as likely to go there!

icowden

Veteran
Ah, didn't realise that.

I'm in and around different parts of London with a hire car and it always confuses me what I need in what areas and the hire company aren't a lot of help.

A good rule of thumb is that if you are inside the M25, you are likely to stray into the ULEZ zone - which is only really a problem if you are driving a diesel delivery van or a very old diesel or petrol car. When you get toward the middle you get the congestion zone. Or drive an EV and don't worry until the end of 2025!

Top Bottom