Are used tyres of use to anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
I usually just chuck them in the bin, but it has occurred to me that my idea of worn-out and someone elses might be quite different. Perhaps someone can still use them on an old hack that they use to go to the pub, or art projects or something. I don't know.

In any case I have 3 sitting around, all 700x23c, 2 Schwalbe Lugano's and a gatorskin. If someone wants them and can arrange to collect somewhere in London please say, otherwise I'll chuck them out.

Cut them into pieces, punch holes in either end of the rectangle and give them to someone who stakes trees.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Ah if only I did gardening... or played the guitar!

I do recall seeing a website by someone who made wallets out of old tyres once. They were quite funky, although I'm not sure my handicraft skills are quite up to the job!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm such a hoarder but i'm trying to declutter my life. I just took a load of 700c tyres to the dump. No use to me. Same goes for inner tubes. Such a shame. Maybe they should go to a developing country where they might be of some use? The inner tubes more so.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Luganos? Do they run any better worn?

I'm surprised so many bikes come with them, their rolling resistance is awful.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I dropped my pair of used but still usable Marathon Supremes into my local bike shop.

The owner said they would go on a used bike with badly worn tyres, or he would give them to customer who couldn't afford new.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On my first ever Cape Argus race I heard a tick tick tick noise from my front tyre, ignored it then flatted right in the middle of a rough "Cape Coloured" area. I found a drawing pin stuck in the tyre and within seconds of stopping I found myself, slightly nervous, surrounded by a small crowd of enthusiastic boys, one of whom had a fat bandolero of inner tubes around his chest, no doubt collected from other hapless cyclists who stopped there. My punctured tube was snatched away and disappeared. I wonder what they use the tubes for? Catapaults?

Top Bottom