Are waterproof cycling trousers worthwhile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I bought some cheap ones a year or two ago, but they dont seem to have space for the thighs cycling/running have given me to move, so i end up going for stuff that will dry quicker. My legs dont seem to feel the cold either, im one of those people whos happy to go for a run in shorts when its snowing, as long as my core is warm.

RedRider

Pulling through
Cheapish altura keks have been great for my short commute, pub rides and dodging between work sites this last month. Think I'd rather wear shorts in the wet on a longer ride though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Lycra shorts, threequarters, or longs. A heavier Roubaix fabric if it's cold. Dries almost immediately it stops raining, doesn't hold much water. I also use knee warmers if it's not warm - my aging joints are not terribly tolerant of cold.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I wear a good pair of roubaix longs which keeps me warm in the rain,boil in the bag overtrousers are ok for walkers/ramblers and too uncomfortable for cycling for me. A good jacket is the most important, Take a hand towel to wipe your legs dry.

OP
OP
bridgy

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thanks for your replies and suggestions - mixed opinions on their worth for a long day ride. I guess like most things it comes down to personal opinion from your own experience. I'll keep pondering!!

Trickedem

Guru
I use rainlegs. I find these a good compromise for keeping your legs warm and dryish without the boil in the bag effect.

Camrider

I don't like full trousers you just get too sweaty. I have a pair of Altura attack waterproof shorts which I can now highly recommend after riding an extremely wet 100km audax ride on Sunday, and having been subject to some cold wet heavy stuff on a 300km ride the weekend before.

They are nice and easy to slip over a pair of road shorts when required. If its warm enough keep the lower legs bare if not some leg warmers will keep you reasonably warm and they dry out very rapidly so you hardly know they are wet. The shorts are quite baggy so let the air flow stopping sweat build up. They also come in 3/4 length if you want a bit more protection.

2pies

Veteran
I bought a pair of Altura's and have worn them once, far too restrictive. Just get some 3/4 length sports shorts and then some leggings or full length bibs underneath.

Its not your legs you need to worry about though, riding 100 miles with wet feet and hands is much more annoying.

Top Bottom