Are waterproof cycling trousers worthwhile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm riding to the Isle of Wight next weekend (100+ miles door to door) with a friend, and with this current weather, my thoughts are turning to wet weather gear!

I've never used waterproof trousers while cycling before - I've always assumed they'd be uncomfortable/restrictive at best and useless at worst, particularly for a longer day ride (as opposed to a short commute for example where I can see they might be useful).

Am I right? Do I just tough it out with shorts or are there waterproof trousers that work well?

Thanks

Most i've read on here don't really rate overtrousers. Personally i have a pair of Berghaus over trousers for the commute and they've had plenty of use lately.

yes- they are generally uncomfortable and restrictive at best - boil in the bag when going up any decent hill - however on a long day in the rain they are invaluable - doesnt take long to get cold or worse in prolonged rain - ive never really come across any that dont work - doesnt need to be as good as a waterproof jacket - just keep the wind and rain off the skin

cnb

Veteran
I've been using my Berghaus paclite trousers this week for my 12 mile(each way) commute in the pi**ing rain..They have been ok and stopped my feeling too cold...

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm riding to the Isle of Wight next weekend (100+ miles door to door) with a friend, and with this current weather, my thoughts are turning to wet weather gear!

I've never used waterproof trousers while cycling before - I've always assumed they'd be uncomfortable/restrictive at best and useless at worst, particularly for a longer day ride (as opposed to a short commute for example where I can see they might be useful).

Am I right? Do I just tough it out with shorts or are there waterproof trousers that work well?

Thanks

a rr friend swears by rainlegs >>> http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home

They look a tad strange but are very effe tive and avoid the boil in the bag issue

i
a rr friend swears by rainlegs >>> http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home

They look a tad strange but are very effective and avoid the boil in the bag issue

I've seen people wearing them but from my observation on a long day in bad weather they just would not be up to it - my compromise is when I am touring in the mountains in bad weather is I wear an old pair of waterproof trousers that I've made into shorts on the uphills - however if it is a proper deluge they are still not adequate on the flat

anyuser

Über Member
Endura Venturi overtrousers work for me without excessive sweating on my commute. But no need for them this last week and next as I am on hols in Spain:laugh:

It depends. If you are commuting in work trousers then they are well worth it to keep your trousers dry and clean. If you are dressed up for cycling with good longs then you are better off without over trousers IMO.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If this weather keeps up I'd recommend commuting in a spacesuit.

potsy

Rambler
I've worn my Altura night vision over-trousers a couple of times this week, really not a fan tbh,far too sweaty, much rather wear my normal summer/winter tights and get a bit wet, knowing they will dry out fairly quick once it dries up.
I suppose it's different if you're out all day in it, or have to ride in your work clothes though, then I would put up with them.

If you are thinking of cycling serious distance at any serious speed IMO they are not worth it, in the pairs I've had I couldn't find the right balance between breathability and waterproofness but for the old short commute I found they could be useful on top of regular trousers.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Never got wet once this month: every time the heavens opened, I had already reached my destination :tongue:

I've had four soakings and a number of mild dampenings

It's raining now, and it will tomorrow. At least I don't have to ride to work weekends.

I probably should contribute properly to the thread: I wouldn't tough it out in shorts, I'd wear legwarmers. They get wet, in most conditions your legs won't get cold, you should stay relatively comfortable and they dry quick when it clears up. In the winter bibtights.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd not bother. Cycling "long" in one of the better windproof materials would be a far better bet as the windproofness keeps out the chill, and much of the water and they tend not to feel soggy and cold even when wet. Even for winter mountaineering in Scotland I very rarely wear overtrousers unless it's truly vile weather - weather that would certainly make me think about not cycling at all ! That said, I do find Paramo overtrousers (and anoraks for that matter) much more comfortable and far more effective than any other waterproofs (eg goretex etc) - based on hillwalking / mountaineering experience only - not worn them cycling.

Top Bottom