Are women only interested in shopping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Well, had to have an alternative thread for the ladies. Funnily enough, I suspect the regular female posters on here will answer to the negative but what about the (less refined) majority? Given the answers in the other thread, you have to wonder if men are hot-wired differently or women are just more discreet about their personal habits.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Well, had to have an alternative thread for the ladies. Funnily enough, I suspect the regular female posters on here will answer to the negative but what about the (less refined) majority? Given the answers in the other thread, you have to wonder if men are hot-wired differently or women are just more discreet about their personal habits.

I suppose some might say (although I dunno that I'm among them) , that it's the old hunter gatherer thing - men go out everyso often to hunt and come back with something big, like a car or a plasma telly, whereas women gather, so they are out there all the time, picking up lots of odds and ends...

Personally, as Chris guessed, I'm not really into shopping - I go for something specific, not to pass time. I will sometimes set out on a trawl of all the charity shops, but that's because you never know what they'll have in, so you hope to get lucky..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
I suppose some might say (although I dunno that I'm among them) , that it's the old hunter gatherer thing - men go out everyso often to hunt and come back with something big, like a car or a plasma telly, whereas women gather, so they are out there all the time, picking up lots of odds and ends...

Personally, as Chris guessed, I'm not really into shopping - I go for something specific, not to pass time. I will sometimes set out on a trawl of all the charity shops, but that's because you never know what they'll have in, so you hope to get lucky..

That's how I got a copy of 'Winter in Eden' - a sequel to a book I'd read about 15 years ago, and long out of print. And a £5 Patagonia Goretex jacket:biggrin: in a rather loud shade of orange:sad:.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Hmmm, it depends what kind of shopping...am not really into the whole clothes and shoe thing (apart from cycling kit), but I enjoy shopping online and buying things in general...kitting out the new house has been fun :tongue:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
No, I am definitely not interested in Shopping. As Arch says, I enjoy looking in the local Charity shops, you never know what you will find. We have a very "upmarket" Charity shop here, in aid of a children's Hospice.
They get lots of books, and lovely clothes. My annual expenditure on handbags would be about £10, as I only buy them when I see almost new ones in there that I really like.

I am currently trying to find J J Cash's woven pictures, particularly the Transport and Tall ships series. These are unlikely to be in "new" shops, so it is a reason to look in Antiques shops, about once a month.

Even on holiday, I track down secondhand shops, found an excellent one in Amsterdam last year. Also last year, in the back of beyond in Sweden, what did I find, (without looking for it) an excellent s/h shop where I bought some table linen in brilliant condition for very little.

I collect storage tins, with foreign origins, preferably Europe. Unfortunately although they are light weight, due to hand luggage restrictions when travelling, it is difficult to get very many in hand luggage. So I have been finding them on e-bay.

I also look out for bargains in new quilt covers, sheets and pillowcases, socks and underwear. But these items are donated to a Shelter for the Homeless in Worcester. I find even the idea of visiting Ikea or large shopping complexes absolutely horrific.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
TheDoctor said:
Ikea?:angry::eek:xx(:angry:
*shudders*

The last time I was in an Ikea must be at least twelve years ago. I have only ever been in Macdooffers three times, the last time six years ago. I remember asking for a doughnut and coffee and finding out that they had run out of both!:ohmy:

redjedi

Über Member
Speicher said:
I also look out for bargains in new quilt covers, sheets and pillowcases, socks and underwear.

You don't buy secondhand underwear do you? xx(

trio25

Über Member
I love shopping for bike stuff and outdoor stuff. Anything else and no I can't be bothered.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chuffy said:
Ooooh, don't. I'm having flashbacks. We got there just as the cafe was shutting, so I couldn't even console myself with my own body weight in meatballs. :ohmy::angry:xx(

I'm being threatened with a trip to Ikea 'to look at hall furniture'. I'd rather eat my own testicles. Without lingonberry jam.

Imagine it. Driving to Milton Keynes, with the prospect of Ikea drawing me onwards, like a randy preying mantis hoping that maybe this time I won't get chewed up and cast aside, an empty dead shriveled husk of what I once was.

The meatballs are nice though.

TheDoctor said:
I'm being threatened with a trip to Ikea 'to look at hall furniture'. I'd rather eat my own testicles. Without lingonberry jam.
That's a good trick if you can do it. You may have to remove a lower rib though.

Imagine it. Driving to Milton Keynes, with the prospect of Ikea drawing me onwards, like a randy preying mantis hoping that maybe this time I won't get chewed up and cast aside, an empty dead shriveled husk of what I once was.

The meatballs are nice though.
It is a lab and we are the rats....xx(
The moose sausage is also good. :angry:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Now, I do like Ikea. I'd want to be with the right people, not pressured to go at anything other than my own pace, and I have to get a plate of meatballs, but I really like there being so much cheap stuff, especially the wodden boxes and things you can paint yourself.

In the unlikely event I ever have a house to furnish, I'd certainly start with a trip to Ikea - but then I'd be sorted out for years!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mrs P and I both dislike shopping. We tend to do our own separate shopping, except for the odd thing for the flat.

Top Bottom