Are you a bike snob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE=" a bike.

Meanwhile, this sentence made me laugh:
''Then my boyfriend invited me along for a 15 mile ride with him on his vintage road racer (Moser). Suddenly I knew I had to have a new bike if I was going to a) keep up b) have children.''
That had me a bit puzzled too I must say,I did wonder if theres something that I have fundamentally misunderstood,although I did a cycling proficiency test at school and got a badge and pendant,I dont recall anything of adult content in the lessons.Maybe I just didnt get through to the advanced stage.
I decided it meant he looks so good on a bike she had to have his babies. This aspect of cycling is not part of the run of the mill cycling proficiency education. Bikeability 4 sounds interesting though....

Last edited:
I never acknowledge anyone and it doesnt bother me that cyclists dont do that nod thing motorcyclists do. I will wave or whatever if I am waved at.

Ian193

Über Member
Got waved at by someone on the other side of a duel carrageway yesterday I didn't see them but my other half did

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I waved at myself in the mirror earlier and got a wave back. Here's the proof

image.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When I am riding in the countryside I always nod, wave or say "Hi". My house is on the main cycling route in the area and I am always out in the garden working, so lots of cyclists shout to me as they pass. When they have local races in the area we always put out lots of Danish flags round the garden as well as a big Union Jack. I think most cyclists in the area know where the Englishman lives.

Added to that I ride things like Kickbikes, an ICE trike and a Bacchetta Giro. It is hard not to be noticed.

I think acknowleging cyclists adds to the socialability of cycling.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does the OP nod at everyone who drives the same car or wear the same brand of clothing? I nod and wave at anyone, some respond, some don't! Who cares?
some friends of mine bought a campervan/ mobile home thing. They were unnerved to find that total strangers, driving similar vehicles would wave and smile.

I get plenty shouts of 'nice bike!' from non cyclists but nary a wink from the Lycra Brigade. Probz coz my bike is a hideous piece of crap that needs destroying immediately*. View attachment 54390

Edited for reality:whistle:;)

*Just think of the puppies and kittens,thousands will die seeing that.

Oh and the general public like Harley Davidsons and watch crappy talent shows which shows you the taste(or lack of)most of 'em havexx(.

And of course this http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ is what you need to digest if you want to get a nod,wave or an admiring look from any discerning roadie(most MTB ers wouldn't know taste if you slapped them round the head with it:tongue:);if not be prepared to be cudgeled with a mini pump(taken from the jersey pocket not attached to the frame:eek:)for you slovenly look and cheap shitty bike:cycle:.

Have a nice day y'all^_^:biggrin::tongue:;)

bpsmith

Veteran
I always wave, say hello and/or nod. Most people oblige in return, but some don't. Strangely enough, I see the same people regularly and make it my goal to overly wave, say hello and/or nod to those who ignore me and ramp it up each time after until they crack!

I find, when it comes to roadie's like myself, it's the newbies that always say hello and the very fast experienced guys who usually smile and wave without removing their hands from the lower bars...but it's the one's in the middle that lean closer to the former, but think they are the later, that ignore you mostly. Remind me to never become one of those guys!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I don't like cheap supermarket bikes with dual suspension and that are very cheaply made. I think they are unhelpful and put people off cycling seriously. That said I don't have anything against the people riding them as I feel that they are the victim in all of this and have been poorly advised.

Top Bottom