Are you a slave to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I am. I have a 24 mile course which I do weekly. I go as fast as I can and keep track of my progress. Currently I'm averaging just short of 21mph.

On longer weekend rides I tend to ease off and pay less attention to to stats. But if I'm 10 miles from home and notice I'm at 16.5mph, for example, I'll often put the hammer down and try to get it to 17mph.

Keeps me entertained!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
To begin with, I was quite obsessed with average speeds and distances. Now I only use the computer to tell me what time of day it is. Max speed down hills is quite fun though.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yep - not quite so much on the commutes but for weekend stuff and cheeky midweek sorties, I do like to set myself a target avg. Often it isn't until some way into the ride that I will decide what I should aim for. It's a good way to improve (imho).

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Mon or Tues is my day for beating my top average mph from the previous week.
The rest of the week I set a target to challenge me (but it is not a flat out push every day).

My main target is currently distance, so the 1000km challenges on Strava have been quite good for me.
I aim for roughly 200 miles a week on the commute, and if I don't quite make it, will pop out at the weekend for a pootle to make up the difference.

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

I am. I have a 24 mile course which I do weekly. I go as fast as I can and keep track of my progress. Currently I'm averaging just short of 21mph.

On longer weekend rides I tend to ease off and pay less attention to to stats. But if I'm 10 miles from home and notice I'm at 16.5mph, for example, I'll often put the hammer down and try to get it to 17mph.

Keeps me entertained!

Guilty of that. Not paying attention then notice a good average then push. I've had the Garmin for over a year and noticed a general improvement. Maybe it does its job. I use to be happy with the 17's now my top rides are 20+mph. Novelty not wearing off.

I almost bought one of those lead weight Pashleys till i had a go. It would be pointless chasing an average with that. :laugh:

Glad i'm not alone. Strava/Garmin rehab it is. :rolleyes:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit i only use very basic devices , more for recording miles done since bike recommissioning , i will also admit i keep looking at Garmin and other suchlike but they all seam to cost more than the majority of my bikes do .

IncoherentJeff

I've got a Garmin 200, I turn it on and throw in my top tube bag / backpack.
I only use it to track my mileage and occasionally check my recent average speeds, if I've a new commute coming up and I'm curious about how long it might take. My phone ate it's battery in under 5hours with Strava running with the screen off, hence getting the Garmin.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I a slave to giving the best i have , some days its quicker than others but i do not get a complex about it .
My average commute speed can vary from 14 to 20 mph over 10 miles dependant on weather, how kanckeres i am etc so as long as i get there and enjoy it i really do not care.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My main bike computer packed up mid-ride years ago and I quickly discovered that I enjoyed riding more when I wasn't obsessing about the numbers. Since then, I bought a GPS and that logs all the information I would ever want, so I can always check it out when I get home. Having said that, recently I have been timing myself up 2 local climbs which are 4.5 and 5.5 miles long, to keep track of how my fitness is improving, post-illness.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I posted a while back that I'd ditched the tyranny of the computer and how liberating it is to just ride. still enjoying looking at the world & not a little screen

Top Bottom