Are you allowed to jump red lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

I was in the ASL area this morning on the North side of London Bridge and motorbike pulled up beside me. A woman on a bicycle then pulled up on the other side of the motorbike and their converstaion went as follows:

WOB: "Are you allowed to jump red lights?"
MC "Er I dunno"
WOB "No I am asking you if you are allowed to jump red lights?"
MC "No"
WOB "Then why are you in this area (Pointing to ASL), your'e stop line is back there, so you have jumped the red light"

She then proceeds to edge forward (jumping the still red light) and play frogger with the traffic and cycle off

The MC just looked at me with a complete "WTF just happened there" look. I was just laughing.

So there is another example of cyclists being tarnished. Have a go at somebody for jumping a red light and then proceed to commit the crime yourself!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
She had a go at a motorbike in the ASL, then jumped the red light....oh pot kettle....

Motorbikes in the ASL don't bother me...they just help to fill them and 'alert' car drivers that they are not for them....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
In my days of a motorcyclist before jumping ship to unpowered 2 wheels I had an argument with a cyclist who objected to me being in an ASL.

I knew I was in the wrong and should not have been there however the troll in me still argued the fact that because the VED tax class of my motorbike was indicated as "bicycle" I was entitled to be there. :becool:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
4F said:
In my days of a motorcyclist before jumping ship to unpowered 2 wheels I had an argument with a cyclist who objected to me being in an ASL.

I knew I was in the wrong and should not have been there however the troll in me still argued the fact that because the VED tax class of my motorbike was indicated as "bicycle" I was entitled to be there. :tongue:
Shame on you!! :smile::angry:

No off you go and ride a BSO for three days without lights and/or a helmet. :becool:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think a deeper issue is in play here.

this lady clearly thought the ASL was a box that "allows" bikes to jump red lights.

her question "are YOU allowed to jump" qualifies this assumption...she truely thinks she is ALLOWED to jump lights because the big green box says so....somehow

Does this explain a lot about in experienced riders who jump lights?:becool:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jonny jeez said:
I think a deeper issue is in play here.

this lady clearly thought the ASL was a box that "allows" bikes to jump red lights.

her question "are YOU allowed to jump" qualifies this assumption...she truely thinks she is ALLOWED to jump lights because the big green box says so....somehow

Does this explain a lot about in experienced riders who jump lights?:tongue:
Yes, that they're f*ckwits??? :becool:

Davidc

Guru
There's no point in getting bothered about motorcycles in ASLs, it's not a big deal, and RLJing is dangerous, whether you're in a car or on a bike, or anything else.

Must be difficult for someone like her though, having to go througfh life without a brain.

Tynan

Veteran
motorbikes and scooters in the ASL bother me when they've already filled it up or positioned themselves in such a way as to block the routes into it, leaving bikes in awkward positions between the cars

and when they try to push their way through cycles trying to move off

in essence do all the things that the ASL is designed to stop

buggi

Bird Saviour
i am sure i have read in the highway code that is is not illegal for motorbikes, or cars, to be in the ASL. It is illegal for them to jump the lights. They should wait behind the ASL but if it is a choice between going through a red light and managing to stop, albeit in the ASL, then being in the ASL is not unlawful.

Therefore, she didn't really have a leg to stand on anyway. And yes, it does sound like she thinks the box is so she can jump the redlight. fukwit

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tynan said:
motorbikes and scooters in the ASL bother me when they've already filled it up

But...not in London..........

Had a motorbike and two other cyclists and then me in the ASL... talk about rule of two wheels....that is rare in South Manchester..very rare.....:rain: all three got in my way......grrrrrrr ;)

dondare

Über Member
ASLs are poorly designed, poorly understood and usually incorrectly used.
IMAO they're good for starting arguments and buqqer all else.

Top Bottom