Are you consciously aware . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I rather like the attention - not because I like being stared at but because it's clear that young people find recumbent trikes really cool and anything to encourage people to do more cycling is good. I find that lots of people shout at me (builders saying 'pedal faster, love' as my Trice goes uphill like treacle) and I do get some people laughing but overall it's very good natured. Sometimes people shout as they drive past which can be a bit offputting. I'm getting used to it, though, but I always try to take time to chat to interested young people, usually on their hugely expensive but rather inappropriate mountain bikes, and am glad that they seem to think my bike is cool because, just maybe, it might make them view their bikes as more than just a fashion accessory.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, 57 and cool does it for me too. Most unexpected!

On a recent French holiday I was disappointed by how many cyclosportif riders refused to acknowledge my cheery 'Bonjour'. A few did respond though, as did little old ladies out to get their bread. Lots of folk did want to get into conversation when I stopped, but my French is rather limited when it comes to discussing 'bents though. I do rather enjoy the attention I get - it's good to bring a bit of levity into peoples' lives. I even like the attention the bike gets when it's on the roofrack.

I was out cycling with my daughter on Saturday, both of us on trikes, we had a great day. Lots of attention from people and all positive, my daughter had a severe case of trikers grin which made me an extremely smug dad.

Top Bottom