Are you going to hit the green light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2900217, member: 30090"]I don't get it.[/quote]
I was waiting for someone else to admit that.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2900234, member: 30090"]I was waiting for a 'behave' from you before delivering an eloquent analysis and conclusion as to what the vid is all about.[/quote]

I'd oblige... if I had the slightest idea.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2900252, member: 30090"]After a wee bit of googling, it's something to do with traffic flow where the flow of green lights means you have priority - I think. What's confusing though is that in the vid there appears to be no junction along the stretch of road.

Ah, I'll go and watch MOTD instead.[/quote]

Aren't you already past by the time it indicates you have priority? Like Bonj outpacing the mud flying off his back wheel...

snorri

Legendary Member
If the green lights at the side of the path are glowing beside you as you cycle along you can be assured the next set of traffic lights on your route will be green for you if you maintain your present speed. If the green lights are not glowing beside you, then it might be an idea to adjust your speed until you have greens beside you. It allows you to cycle at a steady pace and avoid the energy sapping stop start that is required when you are out of synch with the traffic lights.
You can see the cyclists in the first 30 sec of the film, have green beside them and they get through the traffic lights. The cyclists following a few second later have no green beside them and had to stop at the traffic lights
The two cyclists appearing on screen at 1.08 are at the front of the next green wave and sail through the next traffic lights on green.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

What is probably a better question why would somebody bother to waste 3 minutes of their life filming it & then make several other people waste 3 minutes of theirs watching it, but then again it's posted by a cyclist with a camera, so just another none event.

Alan...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If the green lights at the side of the path are glowing beside you as you cycle along you can be assured the next set of traffic lights on your route will be green for you if you maintain your present speed. If the green lights are not glowing beside you, then it might be an idea to adjust your speed until you have greens beside you. It allows you to cycle at a steady pace and avoid the energy sapping stop start that is required when you are out of synch with the traffic lights.
You can see the cyclists in the first 30 sec of the film, have green beside them and they get through the traffic lights. The cyclists following a few second later have no green beside them and had to stop at the traffic lights
The two cyclists appearing on screen at 1.08 are at the front of the next green wave and sail through the next traffic lights on green.

I see! Very observant. I suppose that if you saw the green lights receding ahead, you would go like the blazes to catch them up, so I suppose that could be fun...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
2900377 said:
This is something that people with loads of lights on their commute, so not you, can do already. There is not much on my commute where I am not either loking to hit a green or backing off because I reckon I won't make it.
Yeah I get this - we even have lights in Wales these days! I'm just working hard to get the point of these things. It's a magnanimity thing, cos otherwise one might imagine they were pointless...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great idea but..... the cost! I guess the technology is the same as for those traffic lights that give you a countdown (I think I last saw them in Kinshasa) and you could control the individual lights wirelessly but then they'd have to be battery or solar powered.

Alex H

Legendary Member
What is probably a better question why would somebody bother to waste 3 minutes of their life filming it & then make several other people waste 3 minutes of theirs watching it, but then again it's posted by a cyclist with a camera, so just another none event.

Alan...

On another forum I frequent it's a requirement to put some sort of description along with the video, so we don't have that very problem.

Can't we do that too?

PLEASE:smile:

Top Bottom