Are you ready for the General Data Protection Regulation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

But say some one with 30k posts and a rampant thread starter decides to leave and wants their posts to leave with them that would have quite dire consequences for the overall site disjointed threads or masses of posts without a thread starter etc., I should imagine hidden somewhere in the T&C there is something saying each users gives up their right of copyright when they click post reply but with these new rules coming in you would have ot suspect they have a right under this law to have all their data erased whether personal or not.
I would have thought so, that would be like saying it might be illegal to assist somebody to commit suicide in the UK, but if you do it in my house & sign this bit of paper it's fine.

When deleting any user there's an option to retain or delete all posts so it's pretty quick and simple.
So there's only the nuclear option? Delete your account and leave nothing but sand fused to glass?

That's probably all that's required under the law, but it would be nice to be able to delete any post or posts.

(I know you could report each post and ask a moderator to delete, but that would be a burdensome chore for you and the moderator if you wanted to delete 100s of posts because - to pluck an example from the air - you'd just been appointed editor of Gay Times)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So there's only the nuclear option? Delete your account and leave nothing but sand fused to glass?

That's probably all that's required under the law, but it would be nice to be able to delete any post or posts.

(I know you could report each post and ask a moderator to delete, but that would be a burdensome chore for you and the moderator if you wanted to delete 100s of posts because - to pluck an example from the air - you'd just been appointed editor of Gay Times)

I suppose if the board settings allowed it, a departing member could choose to wade through her posts deleting those she wanted rid of and leaving the rest behind but that would take some effort. As you say, it would be a chore for an admin or mod too and I can't see anyone agreeing to do that.

Do all posts on a forum come under personal data for the purposes of this legislation?

Shaun

Founder
When you register at CC you agree that your content will remain even if you choose to leave.

However anything that can identify you personally will be removed, including threads, posts, images and personal conversations. Equally, if your username can be demonstrated as being able to identify you personally, for example if you used your full name or company name or brand, then that can be changed to a different string of characters to de-identify the associated content.

Quite often people will take a break from CC but then decide later they wish to return, so we don't delete accounts but put them in deregistered mode instead so that you can pick up from where you left off. :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It might be a bit more complicated than that though. What about conversations about a person? Photos posted by a different person but including the requester? Quotes of a person's posts?

I don't know. That's why I asked if all posts on a forum come under personal data for the purposes of this legislation.

I don't know. That's why I asked if all posts on a forum come under personal data for the purposes of this legislation.
I'm not sure that is really the question.

Eventually someone will come along and ask for their data to be removed under the act, and if that request is refused, consult a lawyer. It would be insane to fight it at that point, so you just remove their data. And if you do it for one, then you do it for everyone that asks - because if you have a mechanism, why not? There won't be that many requests, and there is no poster that is essential to CC.

Oh, except accy. The site would collapse into a neutron star if all his posts were deleted.

classic33

Leg End Member
When does the right to erasure apply?
The right to erasure does not provide an absolute ‘right to be forgotten’. Individuals have a right to have personal data erased and to prevent processing in specific circumstances:
  • Where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed.
  • When the individual withdraws consent.
  • When the individual objects to the processing and there is no overriding legitimate interest for continuing the processing.
  • The personal data was unlawfully processed (ie otherwise in breach of the GDPR).
  • The personal data has to be erased in order to comply with a legal obligation.
  • The personal data is processed in relation to the offer of information society services to a child.
Under the GDPR, this right is not limited to processing that causes unwarranted and substantial damage or distress. However, if the processing does cause damage or distress, this is likely to make the case for erasure stronger.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...tion-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5050429, member: 9609"]does any of these changes affect paper records that belong to a ltd company that no longer exists ?[/QUOTE]
A small bonfire should fix the problem. Our stuff went into landfill.

SteveF

The GDPR is a European regulation (we’re still in there despite Brexit) and the DPA is domestic legislation.

Ta....

Would have been useful to show the key differences between the two somewhere near the front, just to make it easier to interpret.

And, I wish public bodies would write in plain English for the general public. I understand the need to be precise in terms of legalities but it can't be beyond the authorities to make it a little more easily digestible, it's all very well if you are a big corporate with a regulatory arm but it could be a real pain for a sole trader (rant over, not political, just a rant)

Dan B

Disengaged member
That would depend on the basis on which the Ltd Company ceased to exist and what happened to the information it had amassed.
Mine was struck off (it was cheaper than dissolving it) which i think means all its records became property of the queen

Top Bottom