Are you religious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I was born and raised C of E, but have had almost zero contact, exposure or urge to have anything to do with the church.
I use the 'I don't bother them, and hope they don't bother me' approach that has seen me well for 40+ years.
People's perception of religion has killed more people in wars than anything else, yet religion is held in esteem by the 'faithful'
I generally don't diss religions, but do have a go when priests etc abuse young kids and their bishops/cardinals/popes cover for them.
Also, I have no beef with any other religion, but why their followers think it's ok to kill infidels, or murder millions because they don't follow the same make-believe 'god' is beyond me.
I personally feel 'creeped out' in church, and feel like an imposer being in the vicinity.
I find they are, although stunningly beautiful places, very uncomfortable places to be on a personal level.
I find my spiritual well-being is catered for in other ways, much prefering the natural world, adventure, music and travel to be my 'crutch' that I need to lean on and keep me sane.

Very much my view as well (good old Yorkshire common sense) I have found the selection of the new Pope quite unbelievable with thousands cheering at the site of white smoke.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 2362650, member: 45"]I'm not religious in the sense that I don't blindly follow a routine born of men.

I do have a relationship with a God who I see working in my life on a daily basis.

Make of that what you will...[/quote]
so you're spiritualist rather than religious?

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Some sincere posts, some joking, but above all better responses than a thread like this in P&L could hope to attract.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
No. I am not religious. Call me an athiest. At an early age i asked a vicar some questions and did not get the answers i was looking for. he was too vague. One of the questions was, and at the age of ten with a very limited knowledge of genetics I asked if Adam and Eve were the first humans, why do people from different continents around the world look different from each other, and if noah's ark had all the animals in it, why do you only get Polar bears in the Artic and penquins in the Antartic and so on.

MontyVeda

No. I am not religious. Call me an athiest. At an early age i asked a vicar some questions and did not get the answers i was looking for. he was too vague. One of the questions was, and at the age of ten with a very limited knowledge of genetics I asked if Adam and Eve were the first humans, why do people from different continents around the world look different from each other, and if noah's ark had all the animals in it, why do you only get Polar bears in the Artic and penquins in the Antartic and so on.
and if was ok for Adam and Eve's kids to have incestuous relationships, and presumably Noah & Nelly's too...
why can't we? :smooch:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No!

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
and if was ok for Adam and Eve's kids to have incestuous relationships, and presumably Noah & Nelly's too...
why can't we? :smooch:
Therein lies the problem when you push an ancient rhetoric, designed to keep peasants in line, onto an educated population with reasonable broadband access and LOTS of questions.....

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
There looks to be a definite split here......

It seems the cycling population are generally less inclined to believe the fairy stories/boll*cks party line they are told nowadays...must be something in the chamois cream....:whistle:

MontyVeda

Born and currently raised RC. However im agnostic and have no care for religion. Im a man of science me.
You are allowed to be both in my book.... Christian doesn't mean Creationist.(but you don't need me to tell you that)
I find String Theory just as bizarre & unlikely a concept as the earth being a mere 6,000 years old.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
You are allowed to be both in my book.... Christian doesn't mean Creationist.(but you don't need me to tell you that)
I find String Theory just as bizarre & unlikely a concept as the earth being a mere 6,000 years old.
Meh i don't like reglions at all. The only reason they came about was so the few could suppress the many. Also it stopped the poor killing the rich which is a very true thing if you look at the middle ages. Kinda of a joke really.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Another no here. Just not for me, though I can understand the comfort religion provides for some.
I suppose the nearest I get to any religious/ stiritual feeling is through experiencing things like watching a stunning sunset, or a barn owl hunt or even when 'my' house martins return to my eaves each spring! I'm quite happy to accept that such things happen as a result of chance, and feel no need to attach a God or gods to them - it just seems rather banal to me to do so.

sdr gb

Falling apart
I was born and raised Roman Catholic. Went to church every Sunday until my parents decided I was old enough to make decisions for myself and left it up to me to whether or not I continued going. Only time I've been in a church since then is for a christening and a couple of funerals.

I find religion hypocritical now with all that has come to light in recent times about the catholic church.

Top Bottom