Are you religious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I was born and raised C of E, but have had almost zero contact, exposure or urge to have anything to do with the church.

I use the 'I don't bother them, and hope they don't bother me' approach that has seen me well for 40+ years.

People's perception of religion has killed more people in wars than anything else, yet religion is held in esteem by the 'faithful'

I generally don't diss religions, but do have a go when priests etc abuse young kids and their bishops/cardinals/popes cover for them.

Also, I have no beef with any other religion, but why their followers think it's ok to kill infidels, or murder millions because they don't follow the same make-believe 'god' is beyond me.

I personally feel 'creeped out' in church, and feel like an imposer being in the vicinity.

I find they are, although stunningly beautiful places, very uncomfortable places to be on a personal level.

I find my spiritual well-being is catered for in other ways, much prefering the natural world, adventure, music and travel to be my 'crutch' that I need to lean on and keep me sane.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
no... but i do have an interest in religion, so far as I'll watch any documentary on christianity, islam, the bible, jesus, etc... it has after all, shaped our society so docs like 'who wrote the bible', 'bible's buried secrets' and the 'history of christianity' i find as fascinating as any industrial revolution or geology doc.

Lee_M

Guru
I don't have a spiritual or religious bone in my body and dont feel the need for it

Consequently I can appreciate churches for their innate beauty - or ugliness, and I have no problem going into them. In fact I used to do wedding photography so have propbably been in more churches than most people

In my view any religion is a crutch to help people avoid taking responsibility or just accepting that shoot happens - but if it helps them that's fine

pplpilot

Guru
Nope, not one molecule in my body. I find it all a little bit creepy and weird that people need that 'crutch' to get by in life. However I believe that anyone has the right to believe whatever it is they want to no matter how absurd it is but I have the right to believe it utter nonsense. I also believe there is no place in public life/government for religion and schools that practice religion, give religious education so children can make an informed choice but so called faith schools are in my opinion wrong.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I have no beef with Hinduism.
Including the caste system?

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
the last time I saw religion discussed on a forum... it ended up being an very lengthy and very heated debate... but that was nothing compared to a thread titled 'Cat person or Dog person?'

Well, unlike 'them lot' in P&L that need moderating, we are a civil bunch in the Cafe.

Arch, Speicher and the girls in the tea thread will make you a cuppa and an accompanying cake, and you can happily discuss your views here without being 'cliqued' into submission.

As long as you don't spout boll*cks that is, else me, Dayvo, RichP and Fnarr will be round to have a word in your shell like........

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Including the caste system?
They do pottery?

Ghost_pottery_wheel.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Not in the conventional sense and I have very little time for organised religious bodies like the RC but I do have some faith and beliefs. I suppose I am an agnostic to a certain extent.

D

Deleted member 23692

I went to C of E primary and secondary schools, and church attendance was 'expected' as part of this education (as was confirmation at the age of 14). The personal outcome for me is that I consider myself an qualified atheist, and I can argue the toss with the best of them. Any discussion comes down me needing proof that god exists and the believers needing me to prove he doesn't.

Faith, in whatever name you call your god(s), is there if you want/need be believe in a higher being/purpose, and that is a good thing. I simply don't feel the need and choose not to

(I did get confirmed to absolve my god parents of any responsibility so I err in life :smile:)

Top Bottom