are you still cycling if...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Crank vs Brooks. Very apt! ;)

Is there not an allowance made for people to cycle for short distances on the pavement if the traffic is too dangerous? SOmeone posted something to that effect recently.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It was Paul Boateng who said:
"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Taken from http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php which covers various points about cylcing and the law.

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
then you'll be walking:rolleyes:

so what if you are walking but touching the pedal of your bike for exactly 49% of the time, are you still classed as a pedestrian?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
so what if you are walking
but touching the pedal of your bike for exactly 49% of the time, are you still classed as a pedestrian?

then you're walking:rolleyes:

read the link bonj, anyone with 14 or so brain cells can see what the judge has decided, and in my limited knowledge of the law, i think that once it's been interpreted, that's final

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
then you're walking:rolleyes:

read the link bonj, anyone with 14 or so brain cells can see what the judge has decided, and in my limited knowledge of the law, i think that once it's been interpreted, that's final

51%?
99%?
We've established that you can still be classed as walking even though you're touching the pedal with one foot. OK. So, how often does your foot have to touch the floor for it to be offically classed as walking?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
If you are going less than 5 mph you are technically a pedestrian, as you might as well be. That's the rule.

Please note, this is a rule IN BONJ'S HEAD. It isn't, as far as I know, a real law. But bonj sometimes doesn't get the difference....

Frankly, myself, if I had to think about as fine a point as whether scooting was riding, I'd just walk and have done with it.

ChrisKH

Guru
What are these fixed penalty notices being issued for?

Is there scope for challenging some (in theory) on the basis of the decision in Scotland that cycling is an 'aid to pedestrianism' and as such is really just walking? A bike is not a vehicle like a car or a scooter.

Top Bottom