Are you the rightful king/queen of your family?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

It's a bit bonkers, isn't it?

I am an only son of an only son

so up to there I am THE BOSS
before that I have no idea but I believe that my Grandfather was one of quite a few
but as both he and his wife married beneath themselves (according to their respective families) then they pretty much lost contact

so I don't even know whether he was the oldest or not

funny thing - many years after my GrandDad died my Dad got a letter from his aunt - i.e. my GranDad's sister - asking why she had not heard of her bequest in his will
apparently she thought she was supposed to 'be remembered' in spite of not having been in touch for many years - and in fact my Dad had never even met her!!!

AndyRM

XOXO
My paternal grandfather was a Provincial Governor in SW Poland at the outbreak of WW2 ( based in Lviv in what is now modern day western Ukraine). He was entrusted to smuggle Marshal Pilsudski's wife and children out of Poland via Lithuania, Latvia, and thence to Holland via Sweden. He was given $500 in gold $10 coins to facilitate that - and I still have one of them.

Grandad Arthur then joined his wife and two sons in Paris before being co-opted back into the Polish military as a Colonel (he was a military veteran of WW1 and the Polish-Bolshevik war and retired as a Lt Colonel in 1933), and commanded the military camp at St Loup. He then was tasked with organizing the camp's evacuation ahead of the German advance in 1940, and ended up in Scotland via Liverpool. There, he was in charge of education and soldier welfare.

I'm still trying to piece it together from three suitcases full of documents and other stuff. I'm OK with the typed stuff, but the handwritten stuff is a nightmare to read.

As an aside, Grandad Arthur was heavily involved in student politics as a young man, and ended up in the same Russian gulag as Lenin. The two men became friends (grandad's politics were definitely leftwards leaning despite being a minor aristocrat), and even went on holiday together.

What a history! That's seriously cool.

Top Bottom