Argentina vs. Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Ive been pondering this for a while ..... Why is it that England is recognised as the country that gave the world soccer and in all that time, as a nation we have only ever won one major trophy ?

Its not as tho soccer isn't pushed through schools, parks, in fact anywhere with a bit of green in the u.k you can bet your bottom dollar, that someone will be kicking a football around.
I also find it amazing that American with their " homegrown " sports,(baseball,basketball grid iron football ) rule the world in these sports and its not as thou they are the only country that plays these particular games.
And please dont say its down to the pros being overpaid, the top flight leagues haven't always been drowning in money.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
tiswas-steve said:
I also find it amazing that American with their " homegrown " sports,(baseball,basketball grid iron football ) rule the world in these sports and its not as thou they are the only country that plays these particular games.

Actually, in global terms, they pretty much are the only countries who play them, at least at a serious professional level! Basketball is getting more popular, but there is no league in the world that comes close to the NBA. Baseball is played seriously in a few other countries: Japan and Cuba most notably, but it's not a global sport. And grid iron is really only the USA and Canada (and the latter is a really weak league).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Actually, in global terms, they pretty much are the only countries who play them, at least at a serious professional level! Basketball is getting more popular, but there is no league in the world that comes close to the NBA. Baseball is played seriously in a few other countries: Japan and Cuba most notably, but it's not a global sport. And grid iron is really only the USA and Canada (and the latter is a really weak league).
I've often wondered why football hasn't taken off in Canada, what with the strong British and French connection. As far as I know Canada has never even looked like qualifying for a World Cup, is there a domestic league of any consequence?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Smokin Joe said:
I've often wondered why football hasn't taken off in Canada, what with the strong British and French connection. As far as I know Canada has never even looked like qualifying for a World Cup, is there a domestic league of any consequence?

There are a couple of teams playing in the MLS, and another due to join next year. There is quite a lot of soccer played in the major cities, and it is expanding due to Central and South American immigration, but the coaching and league system is controlled by generally conservative more longstanding European immigrants. I have a friend of a friend who used to play for Bolivia and is a qualified coach and he can't get an in anywhere. As a consequence, any decent Canadian players tend to go elsewhere to play - like Owen Hargreaves - and end up qualifying to play for other countries by ancestry or residence. The Canadian national team isn't totally terrible but it's not great.

Top Bottom