Argh - I've ended up with the worst commute ever!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
I would possibly consider it if it was just a case of getting on and taking the first exit, but it's not, I need to get across it and that is just not worth it with the speed they are going. And unfortunately it's not all about my riding ability, but their driving ability as well... Don't particulary want to do the a6 either as that drops me out at the completely wrong end of Preston.

Need to somehow find a way of finding my way through the side streets till I can somehow hit leyland road (further on the left). Suspect that will mean working out how to get onto station road and then go down brownedge road till they join (Is that what you meant Hlab?). I'm going to get so lost for the first week or so, got no sense of direction whatsoever!!!!

Friday will be my first day at the new building, and unfortunately I'm unlikely to get another trial run in before then, so wish me luck!!!!

purplepolly

A to Z?

I found it useful when I started commuting by bike - you can see a bigger area of streets than with the on-line tools

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Hehe, that's the plan...but my map reading ability is about as good as my sense of direction, and there is only so many times you can turn the a-z upside down before you get very confused!!!! ;)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Crackle said:
Have you got a large ball of string or some breadcrumbs/pebbles?

Don't even joke about it - last night I was seriously considering tying ribbons to trees or taking a large can of spraypaint with me!!! :smile::blush:

purplepolly

punkypossum said:
Don't even joke about it - last night I was seriously considering tying ribbons to trees or taking a large can of spraypaint with me!!! :smile::blush:

When the temporary m&s opened in Manchester post-bomb, they painted large green footprints on the main shopping street leadiing the way, these were in a semi-permanent paint that wore off after a few months.

If you did the same thing, you might have learnt the route in that time. ;)

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
punkypossum said:
I would possibly consider it if it was just a case of getting on and taking the first exit, but it's not, I need to get across it and that is just not worth it with the speed they are going. And unfortunately it's not all about my riding ability, but their driving ability as well... Don't particulary want to do the a6 either as that drops me out at the completely wrong end of Preston.

Need to somehow find a way of finding my way through the side streets till I can somehow hit leyland road (further on the left). Suspect that will mean working out how to get onto station road and then go down brownedge road till they join (Is that what you meant Hlab?). I'm going to get so lost for the first week or so, got no sense of direction whatsoever!!!!

Friday will be my first day at the new building, and unfortunately I'm unlikely to get another trial run in before then, so wish me luck!!!!
The underpass looks to be the first alternative to me. That would be my first basic option, I think Leyland Road to Brownedge Road to the Underpass to Brownedge Lane and then Station Road. You may find its better to go through the housing estates to the underpass, to cut corner or get a more friendly route, Good Luck.

purplepolly

punkypossum said:
I'm going to get so lost for the first week or so, got no sense of direction whatsoever!!!!

You could try plotting your route as you go along - print off a map of the area and draw in the route in red then at each turning mark your position on the route.

Another aid is to write out the all the directions beforehand in a list with the help of a street map e.g.
1st left onto Cooke Street
left at T junction onto High Street (A6?)
1st right onto London Road
2nd exit at roundabout

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Ah, thanks hlab! I think I see what you mean...I come through that underpass on my way there from the park route, so I suppose it is just a case of getting back there but carrying on along brownedge road rather than turning back onto the cycle track leading to the old tramroute. It's starting to make sense...I think....

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
purplepolly said:
When the temporary m&s opened in Manchester post-bomb, they painted large green footprints on the main shopping street leadiing the way, these were in a semi-permanent paint that wore off after a few months.

If you did the same thing, you might have learnt the route in that time. :smile:

Find me some, please!!!! Glow in the dark ones if possible!!!!!

HLaB said:
The underpass looks to be the first alternative to me. That would be my first basic option, I think Leyland Road to Brownedge Road to the Underpass to Brownedge Lane and then Station Road. You may find its better to go through the housing estates to the underpass, to cut corner or get a more friendly route, Good Luck.

It's deffo looking good that route. There's a few potential shortcuts as well.

nilling

Über Member
If you go down Cuerden Way past Sainsburys follow the road round to the left. Go past Matalan and on the right you'll see a cyclepath that runs paralled to the A6. This path runs behind a reclamation yard, under the rail track and past Bamber Bridge football club - difficult to see on Google maps as the path obscured by trees. You'll come out at Brownedge Road, turn left going through the A6 underpass. When you get to the junction you have two options. You can turn left follow Brownedge Road till you get to Lostock Hall where it joins Leyland Road. Or turn right and before you get to the A6 roundabout take the path on the left to join the tramway going to Avenham Park - though you might not want to do this route at 10pm.

Hope this helps?

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
That's my day route, the tramway is great when it's light, but like you said, it's a slightly different matter at 10pm.

Fortunately, I found out yesterday the move has been delayed by another 3 weeks, so only need to go there once this week for training, which will give me a chance to try out different routes home as I will finish about 4.30.

Top Bottom