Argh - I've ended up with the worst commute ever!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Office finally moving at the end of next week (planned for ages, we are only about a year and a half late), been walking to work up to now, but the move seemed like a good incentive to start commuting by bike.

Did a recce today, and the way there is fine, 90% of it is cycle routes through the park, rather pleasant in fact - only the last bit is a bit poo, but manageable.

Now, the way home is unfortunately a very different matter. I can't take the park route as I don't finish till 10pm and by then it's way too dodgy. The only alternative I have found so far involves pushing the bike about 200 yards along a grass verge (no pavement) to then push it all the way around the roundabout from hell. No pavement, no crossings and placed at the junction of 2 motorways. Took us about 15 minutes to cross on a quiet Sunday afternoon, and to be honest it was so bloody scary I really don't want to repeat the experience at all, especially in the dark. They go so fast!!!

Need to find an alternative, otherwise I will follow the destiny of many possums and end up as squashed roadkill, which is not a pleasant prospect afaic.

Don't want to have to go on the bus, so hope I can find an alternative route, but that one is a no-no. Chances are even if I can avoid it, I still end up on a busy A road for part of the journey, but hey, I can manage that.

It's cr@p, cause I was really looking forward to cycling (it's only about 4 miles each way), but today has discouraged me considerably! :blush:

Sorry, moan over!!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am sure you will find a better route, it may add a couple of miles, but hey... even that would not be too bad eh?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I used Google maps, get directions, walking, for planning my route. Then I drove the route and altered it on Google maps to take out a couple of roads and M-way junction roundabouts that I just didn't want to tackle. Added 2 miles in total but well worth the extra to avoid those bits, IMHO.

PBancroft

Hm... as Ian says there may be a better, but longer route back avoiding the roundabout and A road. Alternatively you may discover that traffic isn't so hectic at that time of night... but I wouldn't bank on it.

Can you share a rough route plan? Maybe someone here will be able to spot a viable alternative?

When I first put down a deposit on my flat (albeit it was only £99) the first route I tried (the shortest) was awful too and thought I'd made a mistake but before committing to the purchase I managed to find a more suitable routes and subsequently loads and I'm sure you will too.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
I know, that's what I will have to do, don't mind a couple of extra miles, although that's not great in the dark either. It's the fact that I don't know my way round that end of preston at all, so don't know the little side streets, etc. I tried via michelin as a pedestrian and a cyclist, but they seemed to want to get you killed as well, as the routes send you across the roundabout from hell...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Start off by finding where you can get across the motorway safely.. and then work out your route to and from there... assuming you need to get to the other side of it. Have a look at the roundabout by car at night to see what the level/speed of the traffic is - and make sure you have good lights.

Used to regulalry do a big motorway rdbt. Does it have lights? If so it makes a tadge easier. If not, still doable but it requires a steady build up of confidence. I used to find there wasn't a right way to do it, it varied with time of day and traffic flow.
Can you post a Google image of the rdbt. then we can all chip in with some ideas?

In the meantime, as others have said find a different way, though motorway crossings are limited. You got some good lights Punky?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I do a motorway roundabout on one of my routes... can't say its my favorite but it does have lights, and ASL (don't usually use those ones though - actually prefer to be nearer the back going onto that roundabout). Also its much nicer from one side than the other. And if I don't feel like it there is an underpass but I think it would probably be more dangerous!!! Admitedly this isn't at night time. Perhaps get to know the roundabout by daylight first.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Perhaps not helpful, but if all else fails, get a Brompton, cycle in and get the bus home...

(Or get several bikes, cycle one way, leaving the bike at work, bus home and buy a van to ferry them all back at the weekend - this is even less helpful...:sad:)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Can't do that with Preston Bus - they have some silly ideas on folders..most refuse to take them.

And part of the reason I'm trying to avoid the bus is because they are not exactly frequent at that time in the evening....

No, defo a case of alternative route called for!!!!

Punky I know that rdbt. You musn't live very far from where a friend of mine lives. Anyway, yes it is fast and busy I can understand your concern and why it takes so long just to walk it. Personally I would do it. Perhaps you can find someone to shepherd you across in the future. I've been across it many times about 10ish (in a car), it's a bit quieter then.

Depending on which way you're going, I spotted the same route as HLAB.

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you don't fancy the RaB, you're right to give it a miss.

Good luck with an alternative route.

Top Bottom