Argos bike in need of some tlc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Maclean

12361C78-9DFF-4B36-83E1-BA6C96E7AC44.jpeg
D497781E-00AA-40EB-BA58-94BE3857A679.jpeg
Bought this for very little at a car boot, the bottle holder has been ripped off leaving some nasty holes in the frame,the gear levers had seized up and the tyres were flat.
I don’t know much about Argos other than they do great rebuilds and paint jobs and I’m not that familiar with the 600 Shimano stuff on this.
Advised in two bike shops to look for new levers on e bay as they can’t really be fixed. Turns out to be a simple spray with degreaser does the trick. My main issue is what is the best way sort the holes in the frame? Any advice on that and any ideas on the age of the bike greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 5B1E5289-2EB0-4304-9967-D080AAF8E68D.jpeg
    5B1E5289-2EB0-4304-9967-D080AAF8E68D.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 28
  • EA488AFF-AD79-4462-B0C7-97B19C9CA3AA.jpeg
    EA488AFF-AD79-4462-B0C7-97B19C9CA3AA.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 31
  • B27D9CA4-F17C-468F-86F4-F1798E6B313C.jpeg
    B27D9CA4-F17C-468F-86F4-F1798E6B313C.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 7FD246DE-12B7-4C14-9F6F-FCB7D3BD3A78.jpeg
    7FD246DE-12B7-4C14-9F6F-FCB7D3BD3A78.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 31

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Watching with interest on the progress.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's really nice. I've seen a few of these and they are quality. Shame a bout the holes but I wonder if a frame builder could sort it out for a not too exorbitant fee. Might be worth it for 653.
Those shifters should nail the date, I'd say about early/mid nineties.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Thanks for the dating of the bike. Its a lovely ride,very smooth and feels like it would fly with the right legs. It’s a tad to big for me, so another question is, can a frame like this be reduced in size?

midlife

Guru
Thanks for the dating of the bike. Its a lovely ride,very smooth and feels like it would fly with the right legs. It’s a tad to big for me, so another question is, can a frame like this be reduced in size?

Its not pragmatic to cut/rebraze to make smaller. If you are handy with spanners it shouldn't be to difficult to find a smaller frame of similar age..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The last time I asked about replacing a damaged tube I was quoted around £80 and then of course you have the repaint charges etc etc

Argos is one of the UKs top repairer and refinishers of quality bicycle frames. You could do a lot worse than send it back to where it originated for the repair. Wherever you send it i'm guessing they'll braze a patch over each hole. Obviously it wouldake sense to include a pair of fresh bottle bosses. Factor in the cost of a respray /strip down and rebuild. On a frame which doesn't fit you. I personally dont think it's worth the effort. Making it smaller is very complex and wouldn't be very much less money that buying a whole new frame. Also, I don't know how amenable 653 is to being re-heated. I agree with the poster upthread who suggests finding a frame which fits you and transferring all the parts over. Sell this frame to part fund the purchase.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Some sound advice, thanks.
I will get in touch with Argos, that does make sense.
I’ve not got a shortage of bikes so not really looking to utilise the parts on another frame. Just feel this bike should be repaired.
It sounds like it’s a job for a welder type and I’m even happy to leave it with the repair showing, a bike that’s a bit bashed makes it less nick able.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

That’s a good idea carpenter.
I was also thinking of a rubber bung type thing, seen them on the floor and boots of cars.
Even ear plugs swimmers use might look good, pink fluorescent maybe.

I think keeping water out is a priority?

Last edited:
Top Bottom