Argos bike in need of some tlc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd want those holes repaired. They're tears really, bit its not inconceivable that you may start to get some cracking. Fortunately its towards the centre of the tube where stresses are low, but even so...

Clean the holes carefully to make each smooth and then blanking grommets? I think id get some new metal brazed in. Any halfway decent welder could do it, wouldn't need a frame builder.

Last edited:

Outlaw Hobbs

That's a very nice project to have. I've recently had a bit to do with Argos Racing Cycles and was very impressed with the 'old school' quality of workmanship and service. The man who wields the brazing torch is Gary - a master of his art. If you take the frame along (or post it) there's a chance they'll be able to provide more details about provenance and I've no doubt make an invisible repair. You could perhaps avoid the cost of a full repaint by just adding a panel of contrasting colour?

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't have any technical knowledge about the structure of steel frames, but I'm surprised at how cavalier you all are about those holes. "Oh, no structural damage, just cover it up or stick a bung in". THERE ARE BLIMMING GREAT HOLES IN IT!

I'm not arguing that it's unsafe - I'm not qualified to give an opinion - just expressing surprise.

You're not alone, those holes would have me concerned as well.

You should take the paint off around the holes to see if there are any stress raisers around the holes. The bottom hole looks as though it may have a couple. You should get rid of them if you are just going to fill the holes.
I know someone that was knocked off their Argos bike and it dinged the top tube. The bike was sent back to Argos, and they replaced the tube and repainted it.. You could not tell it had been repaired after, it was not cheap, but as it was done under the insurance of the car driver cost was not an issue.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Well I gave Argos a call and after seeing the photos they got back with a very reasonable quote. They should be able to fit plates with new bottle bosses fitted, this should cost around £60.00 to complete.

My son lives in Bristol, so next time I visit I could take the frame although does anyone have an idea how much it costs to post?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Won't it need a £165 respray afterwards? Frame repairs are cheap, paint isn't.

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

I like Outlaw Hobbs idea of a contrasting panel. I’ve been thinking that if I was going the full respray route a panel effect would look better on a tall bike.
Always liked the effect of panels on a holdsworth.
5FrYBbv.jpg

Top Bottom