argos has wii in stock !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I've literally just sold mine

Arch

Married to Night Train
Saw a thing on Newsround about these, the way some stores are refusing to sell them alone, but only in a pricey bundle with games. Report by miserable looking kid, who can't get one.

<rant> What IS the world coming to? This year's 'musthave' is £180 on it's own, if you can get one, but most places will only sell it in bundles up to £300! I don't think I've ever had a single present worth so much. Most years, I doubt all my presents together ever cost so much! No wonder the country's going to the dogs etc etc etc.... They should get a box of lego and be happy with it... <rant over>

ChrisKH

Guru
Peer pressure is substantial. My five year old asked for a wii, Playstation 3 and an X-Box and Father Xmas just nodded (he can't nod now). Several of his friends have knocked off wii's from down the docks, allegedly, or ones provided free of charge with Dial-a-Phone mobile contracts.

He is going to be disappointed, I think, unless I can tunnel into Currys over the weekend. The thing is about wii's is they are being sold as a family game console so it's probably not fair to quote cost as an absolute. If I was going to get any of the consoles, it would more likely be as a joint or family present.

£180 is not considered a great deal round my way (although I would balk at £300). After all that's what a quality starter bike costs which I would have less trouble persuading myself as justified. Admittedly to a student/post-grad this would keep you in wool, food and very cheap drink for three months.;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
£180 is not considered a great deal round my way (although I would balk at £300). After all that's what a quality starter bike costs which I would have less trouble persuading myself as justified. Admittedly to a student/post-grad this would keep you in wool, food and very cheap drink for three months.;)

:biggrin:

I think it's partly my rather hard up upbringing. We just never had very much, so I never had great expectations - not that I was miserably resigned to being poor or anything, I just never thought about having specific things much.

Tom was the same. We always said, it did us a favour, because we cultivated the ability to be delighted by little cheap gifts just as much as by lavish ones.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
trustysteed said:
if i had kids, they'd have to choose one of those!

I meant to share, between the twelve of them. ;) and it covers birthdays and easter too. :biggrin:

PrettyboyTim

Arch said:
<rant> What IS the world coming to? This year's 'musthave' is £180 on it's own, if you can get one, but most places will only sell it in bundles up to £300! I don't think I've ever had a single present worth so much. Most years, I doubt all my presents together ever cost so much! No wonder the country's going to the dogs etc etc etc.... They should get a box of lego and be happy with it... <rant over>

I think something in the Wii's favour is that it is seen as something the whole family can play together - something enjoyable that will appeal to everyone from the little kids up to grandma and grandpa. Therefore the cost is easier to justify as the benefit will be spread across the entire family.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
PrettyboyTim said:
I think something in the Wii's favour is that it is seen as something the whole family can play together - something enjoyable that will appeal to everyone from the little kids up to grandma and grandpa. Therefore the cost is easier to justify as the benefit will be spread across the entire family.

Just don't say "Gran, it's your turn to have a go on the wii". Not unless you've got in a stock of extra napkins.

ChrisKH

Guru
Oh he asked for a PSP as well. And don't get me onto Funkeys.

He will be getting a Tesco Cadbury's selection box though (and so will I ;)).

Cyclista

PrettyboyTim said:

While this is true, most of the bundles that are for sale at the moment only come with one Wii-mote and nunchuck, and finding three others so the whole family can play is not only going to be difficult but expensive as the nunchuck goes for £15 and the Wiimote is £30 so thats an extra £135 on top of the cost of the console and games, and that's if you can find a store that has them in stock.

Top Bottom