Argos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
But that is how we got to T4 by carrying on like nothing was happening.

Slick

Guru
My take in all this has always been follow whatever government rules are in place at the time as a minimum, but do your own risk assessment and make your own decisions. :okay:
For instance, going down to work today to top up my bird feeder is hardly essential travel but I still did it at zero risk to anyone.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I agree with you both I too have worked throughout in social care so get the risk assessment stuff but these people that just seem oblivious to anything and then spread it further because they absolutely must hit the shops.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Indeed, my work asks me to travel all over the place, often between different hospitals in different regions in different tiers, none of the hospitals ever ask where I was working before, they just accept the service delivered without question, which even I think is nuts as what I'm delivering isn't an essential service at all but somehow we get away with it. Unfortunately there's no audit on responsibility during a pandemic...

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Indeed, my work asks me to travel all over the place, often between different hospitals in different regions in different tiers, none of the hospitals ever ask where I was working before, they just accept the service delivered without question, which even I think is nuts as what I'm delivering isn't an essential service at all but somehow we get away with it. Unfortunately there's no audit on responsibility during a pandemic...

Not blaming you personally, but, I read somewhere that approximately 25% of COVID infections are hospital acquired. ;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I meant that they don't seem to try to build an economy on buying tat, as the brits seem to think is possible.

As ever, it's a little more complicated. The Germans pay a lot of more tax on comparable earnings than Britons. The last time I looked at it, there's was a rounded figure of c. 34% whereas the Brits was 24%. This takes into account peoples tax free allowance, pensions contributions, and the various tiers of tax. On top of that, in Germany you have to pay 8 or 9% Church tax, which I gather you would be fond of.

So, the UK Govt has to plug the shortfall by encouraging consumption and taxing via stealth (VAT).

A lot of folk (not directed at you @Blue Hills ) point across the water and tell us how great things are over there, but don't realise those guys pay through the nose upfront.

There was some recent posting from @Andy in Germany where he was telling us of the great German re-training system. Things like that don't come free.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Same for me, but in food and pharma factories.

Although our staff are all regional based we still get about a bit, since it all kicked off I've been throughout the North West, North Wales, Yorkshire, and upto central Scotland.

Every factory has temperature testing and covid questionnaires to fill in, plus for food places the usual stuff about previous places visited (mainly for cross contamination, nuts are the main concern), but only one place has asked me about the tier level of the area that I've travelled from.

Top Bottom