Argos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think it's worth worrying about Argos. It's going to be the people visiting relatives homes over Christmas and having a nice chat that's going to have passed it on more than a shopping queue.

We've done neither - I think we've heard of more people we know with the virus than ever before.

Drago

Legendary Member
If people want to risk an extremely unpleasant death for the sake of a Morphy Richards toaster then let 'em. It's simply an extension of the Darwinian process, the Golganfrichan's.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

classic33

Leg End Member
Think of the polystyrene packing, the outer and inner layers of plastic on nearly every item these days on goods sold by both Argos and Amazon.

Then there's the packing that you, as the customer, never gets to see. A 1/4 ton of cardboard was sent back with nearly every delivery. More at this time of year. Then add the plastic in to that. Items used to arrive in a bag(individually) within a bag, within a box. From the manufacturer.

irw

Quadricyclist
Think of the polystyrene packing, the outer and inner layers of plastic on nearly every item these days on goods sold by both Argos and Amazon.

Then there's the packing that you, as the customer, never gets to see. A 1/4 ton of cardboard was sent back with nearly every delivery. More at this time of year. Then add the plastic in to that. Items used to arrive in a bag(individually) within a bag, within a box. From the manufacturer.

Point to note, although it doesn't solve the greater problem, many of these plastic film bags (i.e. stretchy plastic, aka LDPE / 04) can be recycled along with single use carrier bags at supermarkets. The Tesco that I'm currently working at whilst waiting for the live events industry to get back on it's feet has a cage by the main entrance for customers to put their bags into.

Not ours, but something similar:
ycling-bins-in-tesco-supermarket-in-hackney-B8TWWF.jpg

Those grey/black (and other) stretchy plastic bags you get deliveries in are also the same stuff, and often have this symbol:
5SX3BP5oGdeNqh0cRCiUv-X2GepvGw46ELYfbc1Z_A6Wi8wAoQ.jpg

Here's a generic list from the RecycleNow website of things that can go into the carrier bag points:

Recycling plastic film & carrier bags at supermarkets
For those who can't recycle plastic film at home, some types of plastic films can be recycled at carrier bag collection points at the larger stores of most major supermarkets including Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, The Co-op and Waitrose. See below for a list of recyclable plastic packaging
For online shopping deliveries, many supermarkets also allow you to hand your unwanted bags back to the driver for recycling.

Yes pleaseNo thanks
All plastic bags, except biodegradable or compostable bagsAny non-Polyethylene film (e.g. PP, PVC, others)
Bread bagsCling film
Breakfast cereal linersFood and drink pouches
Shrink wrap & ring joiners from multipacks of water, cans etcWrappers from bakeries, e.g. bags with lots of small holes in them
Frozen food bags, e.g. bags for frozen vegetables, chips, etcFilm lids from trays and pots, e.g. yoghurt pots
Dry cleaning bags/bags covering new clothingAny dirty bags or film, for example containing food
Magazine and newspaper wrappersCrisp packets
Bags for loose fruit and vegetablesCompostable bags
Bubble wrapAny film claiming to be biodegradable
Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) - resin ID code 4Pre-prepared salad bags

classic33

Leg End Member
Point to note, although it doesn't solve the greater problem, many of these plastic film bags (i.e. stretchy plastic, aka LDPE / 04) can be recycled along with single use carrier bags at supermarkets. The Tesco that I'm currently working at whilst waiting for the live events industry to get back on it's feet has a cage by the main entrance for customers to put their bags into.

Not ours, but something similar:
View attachment 565790
Those grey/black (and other) stretchy plastic bags you get deliveries in are also the same stuff, and often have this symbol:
View attachment 565791

Here's a generic list from the RecycleNow website of things that can go into the carrier bag points:
Doesn't allow commercial waste, as generated by another shop, though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Someone asked on twitter this morning could she drive nearly 60miles one way, to go for a walk and a coffee.

Which part of essential travel wasn't understood?

Loads of people like that around here some are related :sad:

Kryton521

Über Member
I work for Argos, and I would prefer it if people stayed at home and got me and colleagues to deliver to your home. More than once I've had to bring heavy/large items into someones home. Do not like doing it, but I'm not going to leave someone with a washing machine etc sitting on the door step. There are ways and means of reducing risk to all.
If you must go out and shop, try to be sensible.
Argos has very strict rules in place for both employees and customers to try to reduce the risks.

Slick

Guru
Plus the Isle of Skye treated as mainland as it has a bridge.
Yeah, that's a belter isn't it. I reckon it has far more to do with the steady stream of camper vans that have traipsed all over the island since the first lockdown. Not that there haven't been issues elsewhere but Skye takes the biscuit.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yeah, that's a belter isn't it. I reckon it has far more to do with the steady stream of camper vans that have traipsed all over the island since the first lockdown. Not that there haven't been issues elsewhere but Skye takes the biscuit.
Today FB A82 page reports Fort William heaving with tourists and police apparently stopping travellers to check that their journeys are permitted. Somebody claims to have reported 2 minibuses with Chinese tourists heading for a holiday in Skye and many others also seem to be heading in that direction.
Since the first lockdown we were overrun with motorhomes, camper vans and tents although there are ferries but checks were stopped as soon as limited travel was allowed.
It was a most unpleasant summer for many residents confined by the influx clogging up the roads.
I have not been out enough this past week to see but I know there are some still here who should not be.

lane

Veteran
If people want to risk an extremely unpleasant death for the sake of a Morphy Richards toaster then let 'em. It's simply an extension of the Darwinian process, the Golganfrichan's.

Except they may be working with me next week

Top Bottom