Argument clinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone beat this?
My brother was telling me the other week that he was once in an argument about something with a friend of his. They were in a restaurant at the time with a candle on the table, and Tom (my brother) was getting very much the worst of the argument, reduced to phrases like "yes, but ..." and "Er, well ..." while his mate launched a devastatingly well put together, eloquent and well informed counter argument. He got so passionate about it that he leaned over the table to deliver the coup de grace, which would really have left Tom with no option but to climb down and admit he was wrong. Fortunately, in leaning over the table, his shirt made inadvertent contact with the candle. So the final scene went something like:

FRIEND: "... so that's why you're wrong and I'm right!" (end of devastatingly effective, eloquent, etc. etc. counter argument; sits back smugly in chair and awaits self - abasing apology from Tom).

TOM (after carefully calculated pause): "Well, that's as maybe, but your shirt's on fire."

End of row in some disarray.
Anyone know a better way to bow out of an argument in which one is getting the worst?

vbc

Nice one Tom!

domtyler

Über Member
Ha ha, that takes some beating!! I remember at Uni when I lived in a stinking hole of a house share with no heating and mice everywhere we were all in the kitchen with all the gas rings on for heat, some idiot was round the house, can't remember who it was, and caught his shirt on fire, really went up nicely. He had to take it off (quickly) and chuck it out the window.

Cometgirl and Joe Sacco were slogging it out over animal rights on Cycling Plus and Cometgirl responded to 500 words of Joe's best with, "So, we should be kind to animals in case someone from another planet lands and criticises us."

red_tom

My two brothers arguing, can't remember who won but the winning line was.

'Yeah, but my dad is exactly the same as your dad'

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The one you can never beat is "....because it says so in the Bible".

But it's not that there aren't any counter arguments, it's just that no man has enough energy in their remaining born days to advance them with any effect.

Myself and Mrs T were once in a restaurant with a couple who were friends of ours.

She ended an argument with the showstopper "Well, that's the last B*** J** you get from me!!!"

This was said in a very loud voice and the entire restaurant went deathly quiet.

Trembler49 said:
Myself and Mrs T were once in a restaurant with a couple who were friends of ours.

She ended an argument with the showstopper "Well, that's the last B*** J** you get from me!!!"

This was said in a very loud voice and the entire restaurant went deathly quiet.

So, you lost that argument then. :ohmy:

Melvil

Trembler49 said:

:ohmy::biggrin::ohmy:

Tetedelacourse

Two of my uni flatmates were arguing about something. One (Andy)was a pal of mine and the other (Tony) was a doctorate student who was doubling as a warden for the street we lived on. He was very very clever, and very straight-laced whereas my pal was passionate about arguing and usually drunk. The argument came to an end when Tony (brainy) pointed out that Andy's problem stemmed from the fact that he had trapped himself in a binary logic.

Everyone present exploded with laughter as Andy struggled to comprehend what his problem was.

ps Two men arguing in a candlelit restaurant? Hmm, sounds fishy to me!

Tim Bennet. said:
The one you can never beat is "....because it says so in the Bible".

But it's not that there aren't any counter arguments, it's just that no man has enough energy in their remaining born days to advance them with any effect.

Even better is, "God told me."

Top Bottom