Arise, Sir Lewis of Hamilton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I knew it was only a matter of time before this subject came up here. I am of the 'honours system is pointless, but while we have it, Hamilton deserves one' crowd.

This whole tax-exile reason for hating Hamilton is curious, though. Doesn't Geraint Thomas live in Monaco too? Simon Yates in Andorra? I remember reading the Sean Connery obituary thread on here. Notoriously curmudgeonly, living as a tax exile, sticking his nose in Scottish politics while not living there, investigated for tax evasion at one point, and a Sir. Nobody mentioned that he should not have a knighthood. What is different with Hamilton?
Geraint Thomas lives in Nice, as do other pro’s, which is in France, they do so to be able to train in reasonably warm weather through winter, with a variety of terrain, as do many others who reside in Girona, Spain, for the same reason, they aren’t tax exiles, it’s where Ineos riders have decided to base themselves ,
The difference with Hamilton is he’s a multi millionaire 285 times over, yet it’s not enough, he preaches to everyone else whilst doing the exact opposite, I personally don’t think he’d have lasted 5 minutes in F1 in the 70’s, but that’s another story altogether.

D

Deleted member 26715

he preaches to everyone else whilst doing the exact opposite,
Examples?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Geraint Thomas lives in Nice, as do other pro’s, which is in France, they do so to be able to train in reasonably warm weather through winter, with a variety of terrain, as do many others who reside in Girona, Spain, for the same reason, they aren’t tax exiles, it’s where Ineos riders have decided to base themselves ,
The difference with Hamilton is he’s a multi millionaire 285 times over, yet it’s not enough, he preaches to everyone else whilst doing the exact opposite, I personally don’t think he’d have lasted 5 minutes in F1 in the 70’s, but that’s another story altogether.
I've never heard Hamilton preaching about tax. As for not lasting five minutes in the seventies, how do you come to that conclusion?

DRM

Guru
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/...-pose-he-should-look-at-where-he-pays-his-tax
He can’t even hold the Union flag the right way up, Switzerland to Monaco is truly the actions of a patriotic UK tax payer, as in the above article, who paid for him to get where he is now, we did, it’s time he paid his fairshare back into the system
I think Nikki Lauda, Mario Andretti & James Hunt et al would have run rings round him.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The most Hamilton would have to pay in tax is 40% in the UK... that still leaves him with 60% of an awful lot of his annual income to spend on bling... same for Dyson and the others... but hey, he can drive the fastest car in F1 really fast so why not give him three letters in front of his name instead of two.

Reactions: DRM

GoldenLamprey

Sounds like Sir Sean Connery is the best comparison, then, in so many ways. What are your thoughts on his knighthood?

D

Deleted member 26715

Sounds like Sir Sean Connery is the best comparison, then, in so many ways. What are your thoughts on his knighthood?
Careful don't overload the poor chap, we're still waiting for answers to his drivel from yesterday

DRM

Guru
Some what similar to that of Lewis Hamilton, I believe if everyone in Britain from the lowest paid minimum salary employee, through to the wealthiest person in the country paid 20p in the pound, after allowances', then the country could better afford it's running costs.

D

Deleted member 26715

Some what similar to that of Lewis Hamilton, I believe if everyone in Britain from the lowest paid minimum salary employee, through to the wealthiest person in the country paid 20p in the pound, after allowances', then the country could better afford it's running costs.
Okay I'll bite at the risk of getting the thread moved to the dark place, how by collecting less tax as everybody currently pays at least 20p in the pound how the country could better afford it's running costs.

DRM

Guru
Okay I'll bite at the risk of getting the thread moved to the dark place, how by collecting less tax as everybody currently pays at least 20p in the pound how the country could better afford it's running costs.
No they don't, those who can afford to use an accountant to come up with ways of creatively avoiding paying their fair share, while those on PAYE stump up the full amount, ie contractors allegedly being self employed springs to mind.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No they don't, those who can afford to use an accountant to come up with ways of creatively avoiding paying their fair share,

You mean they use an accountant to only pay what they are legally obliged to. You'd have to be a fool to do otherwise.

And remember, it's HMG who make the laws on taxation, not accountants.

Proto

Legendary Member

Pretty sure Geraint Thomas and his family live in Wales.

Top Bottom