Arkel Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Does anyone have experience of Ariel panniers? I'm quite taken with the tent bag section and other bits. Pricey though and wondered if anyone can give first hand experience.

Does anyone have experience of Ariel panniers? I'm quite taken with the tent bag section and other bits. Pricey though and wondered if anyone can give first hand experience.
Arkel or Ariel?

I have an Arkel handlebar bag. I think it's great. Tough, durable with a straightforward, strong (and thus far) durable mounting system.
If the material is the same for the panniers you will need a waterproof cover otherwise water will soak in.

They are expensive, though. Mine was a gift.
I did have an issue with a "spacer" for one of the mounts (my fussiness rather than a flaw) and Arkel immediately sent me two spares, no charge, no issues despite me not being the purchaser.

I'd have no qualms in recommending them based on my limited experience.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve got a set of Arkel front panniers, and they are great. Orca 25s https://www.arkel-od.com/orca-25-waterproof-front-panniers/
Rugged and waterproof, they’ve had a lot thrown at them on a low trail front rack and come out of it all unscathed. Removable inserts make them quite stiff, but can be used without, depending on what you’re carrying.
Expensive compared to other brands; you get what you pay for imho

Why not throw up a link to the actual model?
I'm a big fan of pockets on panniers (despite not having any) but not a fan of carrying tents in them.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am a complete troglodyte when it comes to things like putting a link in another message. I consider it an achievement posting a photo on here. I will ask my daughter who is a more savvy with tech.

I am a complete troglodyte when it comes to things like putting a link in another message. I consider it an achievement posting a photo on here. I will ask my daughter who is a more savvy with tech.
You could at least just give the model name and any size options.
Alternatively, on the Arkel website on the page for your model select and copy the URL (www.Arkel.com........) and paste the text into your post.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
GT54 rear panniers on their website.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have read everything on their website I just wondered if anyone had direct experience of them long term.

Certainly not cheap! ^_^ Sales tax excluded too!

My first impression is far too complicated for me. I'd love a couple of pockets on my Ortliebs, but I think that's overdoing it.

I don't get the idea of carrying a tent on the side like that. What's the rack for in that case?

They're the kind of panniers someone with a lot of experience would choose - someone who has figured out exactly what gear they want, how they want to carry and access it and has it all figured out.

There's a lot of really cool sounding features but I'm not sure they're as cool in reality. For example, the suggestion to wrap tent poles in a sleeping mat. My sleeping mat is normally wrapped up by the time the tent comes down - certainly in wet weather. That evening setting up the tent in the rain I need to open my "mat bag" to get my tent poles? No thanks! Or the removable toilet bag. Great idea until it gets dirty or wet on tour.

There are a lot of zips and zips can be a weak point. Having said that I've had no problems with the zip on my barbag.

Personally, I'd have no qualms about long term use. The material is pretty much indestructible. (They included a sample with my bar bag and a challenge to rip it^_^). Their mounting system is well regarded. Add in the cost of the raincovers though.
For frugal me, it's too much $.

Given the location of the company, I'd imagine there are relatively few users in these parts.
For direct info from users, maybe try CrazyGuyOnABike, check out the journals and search for the brand and/or model.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I currently use and have done for years the Carridice panniers. They are superb in my opinion. I usually have tent poles slung under the cross bar and roll tent as small as possible and put on rear rack. Arkel looks an interesting take on a system. In the UK I figure seeing any in the flesh is unlikely. As you say pricey on a whim.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
My Orca 25s have done me well. Four summer tours. Several pretty muddy autumn jaunts. Still look brand new once washed. Still waterproof. Fixings are much stronger than comparable Ortliebs

Top Bottom