Arla Foods HGV driver illegally on the phone and in a box junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 666 said:
Im my job I am told to turn the phone off when I enter the cab which I do which rids the cab of a distraction.They are strict on this rule which is a good thing.

LOL! Just slightly more serious than in a big lorry.

BentMikey said:
LOL! Just slightly more serious than in a big lorry.

I would still appreciate it if vehicle users did the same...I had two today between London Bridge and Waterloo....one using his mobile and the other texting.It's serious to me to avoid being taken out by one of these morons.

Unfortunately I don't have the film as my sd card mysteriously disappeared from my MUVI.:evil:

stowie said:
Would the company, or you, pick up the 3 points and £60 fine (or worse) if caught using a mobile? I just think that the solution to holding a mobile in a vehicle is so cheap and simple that there is no excuse for anyone caught using a handheld mobile.

Besides, these things aren't fixed to a particular vehicle, you can move the kit easily to another lorry or your car - they are always useful.

The issue is that people are too lazy to bother getting a kit, and the detection rate for this crime is so low, everyone knows you can pretty much get away with it.

You're slightly missing the point of what I was saying. If the company don't provide any means of talking hands free, I tell them at the start of the shift that I won't answer the phone unless I'm parked somewhere safe. And I won't. I can't be doing with Bluetooth headsets, and twenty quid may not be much to you, but I'd sooner have twenty quid than a Bluetooth headset.:biggrin:

In regard to companies taking the behaviour of their drivers seriously I had a rather unpleasant experience recently. The haulage company (arranged by a foreign co-producer through a broker for transport of stage, set, costume and props between UK and european venues of a theatrical tour) were not particulary helpful to start with and were demanding tight turnarounds. I arranged with a venue for the trailer and unit to stay on site so that the driver could rest after we had finished our get out.
One complication was that the driver had had to arrive a couple of hours before we needed him due to other loading docks being in use; this is where the trouble started: he spent his time in the pub. By the time we were loading he was incapable.
After we were done, he closed the wagon despite still being falling over drunk and I went to sign off the crew. Despite me arranging for the driver to stay overnight I came out of the venue to find an empty dock. I hadn't taken the registration number.

The following day the company's response was that the driver had been drinking, but that it was ok as it was only a couple.

We've made alternate arrangements for the rest of the UK.

hackbike 666 said:
I would still appreciate it if vehicle users did the same...I had two today between London Bridge and Waterloo....one using his mobile and the other texting.It's serious to me to avoid being taken out by one of these morons.

Unfortunately I don't have the film as my sd card mysteriously disappeared from my MUVI.:tongue:

This could be a conspiracy, the SD card for my POV disappeared yesterday.

benborp said:
In regard to companies taking the behaviour of their drivers seriously I had a rather unpleasant experience recently. The haulage company (arranged by a foreign co-producer through a broker for transport of stage, set, costume and props between UK and european venues of a theatrical tour) were not particulary helpful to start with and were demanding tight turnarounds. I arranged with a venue for the trailer and unit to stay on site so that the driver could rest after we had finished our get out.
One complication was that the driver had had to arrive a couple of hours before we needed him due to other loading docks being in use; this is where the trouble started: he spent his time in the pub. By the time we were loading he was incapable.
After we were done, he closed the wagon despite still being falling over drunk and I went to sign off the crew. Despite me arranging for the driver to stay overnight I came out of the venue to find an empty dock. I hadn't taken the registration number.

The following day the company's response was that the driver had been drinking, but that it was ok as it was only a couple.

We've made alternate arrangements for the rest of the UK.

Crikey. Who was the haulage company? (PM me if you prefer.)

buddha

Veteran
I had an 'incident' with an Iceland HGV last week. The driver cut across my path on a roundabout. I anticipated what he was going to do (as it wasn't the first time) and braked in time. Took the reg and complained to the CEO via email, asking that their drivers be more aware of other road users in the future etc...

A couple of days later I received a nice email from customer services apologising and stating that they will deal with the matter. They also want to send me a written apology and a 'gesture of goodwill'.

Hopefully (if they actually do something) this will at least make their drivers think twice around cyclists in the future :blush:

Rhythm Thief said:
Crikey. Who was the haulage company? (PM me if you prefer.)

A brief PM is on its way.

Top Bottom